• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Mesh computer cases

pflol

Android Enthusiast
Aug 31, 2010
Oahu / Hawaii
Hello, I'm going to be purchasing a new computer case this week however I thought I had my mind set on an antec 900 but I was considering giving rosewill a chance and try out their new "armor" case. Anyways, I have a few concerns which I'm fairly certain I already know the answer too, this case is 80% mesh which is awesome for cooling but not so awesome for cleaning, heres my questions.

case: Newegg.com - Rosewill ARMOR Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case ,Full mesh design front bezel, comes with Six Fans-1x Front 120mm Fan, 2x Top 120mm Fan, 1x Rear 120mm Fan, 1x 80mm Fan on motherboard tray, 1x Side 200mm Fan, option Fan-1x Bottom 120mm (that video review is awful)

1) Mesh is great for airflow but I live in hawaii, on the beach none the less so sea salt destroys everything in my house... I currently have a full aluminum tower but I need to replace it because its 5 years old and 80mm fans are shit. Will the mesh allow the sea salt to destroy my computer or can I get filters? (is it even worth it?, honestly).

2) I've never had a steel case but I'm assuming since it's painted it wont rust, right?

3) Since I live in hawaii ambient temps are a problem, will the 80% mesh allow the hot humid air to increase my cases temps greatly or is that a non issue?

4) My current case has 6 80mm fans will I notice a fairly large difference switching to 6 120-200mm fans?

I know this is alot to ask considering this is a new case fresh on the market... I have no where else to turn, I'm willing to actually give rosewill a shot for once but not if it's at the expense of my computer hardware! Any input would be nice!

Personally I'd be a bit leery about using a mesh case in that environment. Given the corrosive properties of salt it could make a mess of things. Have you seen any evidence of corrosion on your existing case and/or components?

With respect to case fans, bigger is not always better. While it can be said that one large case fan will move more air than multiple smaller case fans, if that one fan stops working then you go from lots of air movement to none. I personally prefer having larger case fans running but I also make it a habit to toss the fans that come with the case and replace them with fans of my own choosing. I'd swear most inexpensive case fans anymore must use the cheapest and most unreliable motors known to man.

Upvote 0
2) I've never had a steel case but I'm assuming since it's painted it wont rust, right?

Not sure about this, but just to be safe I'd make sure that the case you purchase is painted on the inside as well.

I have an NZXT Beta that's painted on the inside as well, but it has a mesh front and you'll probably need to avoild these.

I looked through Newegg's cases and the ones that are painted inside all seem to have a mesh front.

I don't know if I'd advise buying a case and painting the inside with rust-proof paint. There's no telling what problems that could potentiall cause.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones