• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

More Verizon Update Battery Charging Issues

Goodspike

Android Expert
I upgraded my Verizon S4 from the MJ7 update to the MK2 update about a week ago. Prior to that I was able to get my vehicle charging issues resolved by buying a better cable. Now, with this update the charging issues are back.

Before with the smaller gauge cables it wouldn't charge at all. Now it charges, but at so slow of a rate that with the screen on the battery slowly discharges, even with a 2.1 amp adapter. I'm also getting a brand new message that it would charge faster with the original Samsung charger (something I was never given for a vehicle).

How hard can it be to get something as simple as charging the phone right? :mad:

Mine (same Verizon update as you) varies. One day, it refuses to use a non-OEM car charger; demanding the stock charger be used. The next day, it worked fine although at only 800mA (I use BATT).

Mine (same Verizon update as you) varies. One day, it refuses to use a non-OEM car charger; demanding the stock charger be used. The next day, it worked fine although at only 800mA (I use BATT).

I'm not certain, but I think mine may vary too, because I swear it charged fine about 4 days ago, but I'm not 100% certain.

I did call Verizon and everything was going incredibly well. The first tech support person sent me up to the next level and then that person checked there records and was going to bring in Samsung support. Then after about 10 minutes on hold I was disconnected.

Calling back was a disaster. I got someone on the phone who didn't sound nearly as competent. They gave me the direct number for Samsung. Samsung's system indicated they needed the XXXX number (IEMI or something) from inside the phone, so I had to hang up and disconnect the battery to get it. Then calling back I got someone who basically suggested a factory reset and claimed that Samsung didn't do the updates, that it was Google. They also told me that I could report the problem to Samsung at Samsung.com with "a link there that is somewhere on the site." :rolleyes:

I found and installed the "Galaxy Charging Current" program, and using my Samsung wall charger it showed it was charging at 1200 ma. That's the same as what I got out of the 2.1 amp charger with the heavy gauge cable, although at one point it did indicate 1900 ma. Using the normal gauge cable with that charger I only got 600 and 700 ma.

Is there a better program than that one? I haven't tried the "pro" version of it because the additional features didn't seem that great.

I can't believe it took me this long to diagnose, but it hasn't been a high priority.

It's either the 12 volt adapter or the cable in my car, because it works fine in my other cars with the same adapter and cable brands/type.

Back
Top Bottom