• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Mounts2SD Bricked My Device...

I made a ext partition on my Kyocera Event, and Mounts2SD didn't recognize it. Now, for some reason, whenever I boot my device, it crashes and reboots. If I can get to the shutdown dialog, it only has power off and not airplane mode or any of that. I'm assuming that my data partition got deleted. I cannot do anything, and since Virgin Mobile won't unlock the bootloader, I don't have a nandroid backup! Can anyone guide me through fixing this?

I have fixed the bootloop issue, but I now have the issue of the home button not working and all my options not being available in the shutdown dialogue. If anyone can help that'd be great.

Thanks,
PTW

I had similar problems using Links2SD. I believe it's because this phone has both an "internal sd card" and an "external sd card". These kinds of apps can't differentiate between the two. By trying to make another partition, you may have "fractured" the memory into parts. I see similar problems as a PC tech. I would start by making a TOTAL backup on your PC of everything. You should see two removable drives listed for your device. Backup what ever is on both. If there is any way to migrate files from one to another, try it. Choose the external for whatever you're used to using your sd card for. (music,pics,etc.) Leave a folder called LOST.DIR there along with whatever it's contents are. That should sort out some of the memory confusion. There are apps available that will help with the button remapping. I once loaded a rom to my HTC One V that remapped everything. It was aggravating. I think Kyocera meant this phone to have a sim card, or at least allotted memory for one. That's where we see a folder on our external sd card that says internalSD. My husband's new Event works a lot better now that I migrated those files over to the external sd card, then rebooted. So far no problems. Good luck.

Best bet here is to factory reset the device. Take out the SD card while this happens.

Reformat the SD card's partitions on a PC while the phone resets. For myself, I used GParted in Debian Linux to create the partitions and to format the SD card.

Once the reset's done, turn off the phone, put the card back in, turn on. You'll need to log on to Google, and if necessary, reactivate the phone. When the launcher is fully up, reinstall your programs. I'm assuming you don't have a backup, so you'll have to go to Google Play Store, and put them all back one by one. (If you can, restore wifi before downloading from the Store so you don't have to use 3G.) If you have a backup, install the backup app, and then reinstall.

Nannycrick, partitioning the SD card is normal practice for Android users who use custom ROMS, or just root phones to take advantage of extra functions not available in unrooted form. The second partition is meant to store programs that would normally reside in the phone's internal storage. Then a program like Link2Sd is used to create symbolic links in internal memory. This method has been in use for years among various UNIX based OS's.

Best bet here is to factory reset the device. Take out the SD card while this happens.

Reformat the SD card's partitions on a PC while the phone resets. For myself, I used GParted in Debian Linux to create the partitions and to format the SD card.

Once the reset's done, turn off the phone, put the card back in, turn on. You'll need to log on to Google, and if necessary, reactivate the phone. When the launcher is fully up, reinstall your programs. I'm assuming you don't have a backup, so you'll have to go to Google Play Store, and put them all back one by one. (If you can, restore wifi before downloading from the Store so you don't have to use 3G.) If you have a backup, install the backup app, and then reinstall.

Nannycrick, partitioning the SD card is normal practice for Android users who use custom ROMS, or just root phones to take advantage of extra functions not available in unrooted form. The second partition is meant to store programs that would normally reside in the phone's internal storage. Then a program like Link2Sd is used to create symbolic links in internal memory. This method has been in use for years among various UNIX based OS's.

Thanks. I don't dev androids, I repair PCs. I understand partitioning is a "required" practice with Windows. I've only encountered Android partitioning twice during my ventures into "Android World". At least I've never partitioned an sd card myself. This phone is my husband's replacement phone. He had to downgrade from an Evo V 3D. Mine is an HTC One V running Slimbean 3.1 Advanced w/ Turbo Boost Mod Triple Swap, as recommended by my roms dev. Am I running an sd card partition? Haven't figured that out yet. Guess I have more to learn! (still have problems using Links2SD, but Andromizer works just fine!)

Actually, I've already tried factory reset, although I'll follow your steps anyway. I already have a button remapper, but home isn't listed there. In fact, the only things listed there are the end button and two other buttons. Strange.

Alright, I did a factory reset following your instructions, but it did not solve my problem. Any more ideas?

Sorry, don't have any ideas. You might have to replace your phone. :(

Went through the reviews for this app on Google play. Some of the recent reviews don't look good. I wouldn't recommend this app to anyone using an Event.

Yeah, like I said, I fixed the boot loop (by deleting the init.d script via adb). I them installed softkeys (from market) and swapps (also from market) dunno what to do about the power dialogue, though. Guess I have to live with it. (The stuff in parenthesis is for other people with this problem, if any appear)

Back
Top Bottom