• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Netflix not working on rooted S6 SM-G920I

sasharky

Lurker
Feb 3, 2016
Hey guys,

So I recently rooted my S6 with Odin, mainly just to remove bloatware, and soon discovered Netflix won't work. It will go as far as letting me choose a movie/episode, but it'll just infinite-loop the loading screen.

Anyone had this happen and/or know a fix?

A basic first thing to try is going into your Settings >> Application manager and after selecting 'Netflix' tap the 'Force stop' button and then the 'Clear data' button. If that doesn't help do the same steps over again but also tap the 'Clear data' button. (but note when you 'Clear data' you'll have to re-enter your user I.D. and password when you launch the Netflix app)

Upvote 0
Still does the looping :/ Tried completely uninstalling/reinstalling it too and it didn't help. It didn't however ask for me to log-in again even after uninstalling, so I'm not sure if it didn't *completely* uninstall, or maybe it was google remembering the log-in? I'm not even sure if I've set that, but anyway...

Upvote 0
This is a dated thread, prior to Netflix killing off support for rooted Android devices:
https://www.theverge.com/2017/5/15/15640820/netflix-blocks-app-rooted-android-devices
You might try this workaround:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/apps/magisk/module-netflix-enabler-enable-netflix-t3708126

Just anecdotally, on an old, rooted phone Netflix is still working for me without having to do any tweaks to it, but it's version 4.16.0 (current is 6.5.0) so while I still use it to do stuff like watch content on a Chromecast each night, a lot of features and its user interface is less functional than when using a non-rooted, more current phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones