• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New Swype Beta installer hozed up

(G)

Android Expert
Dec 16, 2009
Minnetonka, MN
www.gleone.com
I received an email from Swype this afternoon saying that the Beta I'm using (I'm a registered Beta user) will expire "in a few days," and urging me to download the new installer, which will then download and install the new version of Swype. But I had to uninstall the old installer and version first.

I did.

And the new installer didn't work. I tried it a dozen times, and every time I received a message saying that the "Installer is out of date."

There's a note from a Swype tech on the Swype forum (posted at about 5:30pm) saying that they knew there's a problem and that we'll all get mailed out a new installer "within 24 hours."

Until then, I limp along with the stock keyboard.

EDIT: Never mind. By 11:30pm CDT it was fixed. THANK GOD.

According to the email, here are the changes:
- added German and Portuguese
- added auto-space suppression short-cut gesture (from spacebar to backspace)
- added quick language switch short cut gesture
- improved word prediction algorithm
- improved handling of several gesture collisions (incl want/wasn't, to/too and others)
- Android IME no longer sometimes hangs/crashes when Swype scrapes the user's address book for dictionary entries
- tips and help menus now accessible when a password field is active
-backspace now works in applications which use raw key imput instead of an editable tet field (e.g. terminal emulator)
- The single character "i" is no longer incorrectly auto-capitalized in non-English languages
- tons of other minor bug fixes, including many device-specific issues

So when will swype be released to the pubic? I had a beta copy for a few days and loved it. I would gladly pay for a full version but the only way I see to get it is to be lucky enough to be a beta tester or buy a phone that ships with it.

Good question. According to their website FAQ, they'd rather license it out to phone manufacturers than release it as a full app because doing the latter would require more support than they have manpower for.

I don't understand why they just don't release it with the understanding that there won't be any support for it, other than what's on their own forums.

Upvote 0
I had the same issue with Swype yesterday. This morning I tried again and it worked. However, and more importantly does anyone know if they fixed the "REBOOT" bug? I would test myself, but its always a hassle trying to get it to work again after rebooting the phone. I love this keyboard, but to always use it I have to remember to switch back to the stock keyboard before turning off the phone, "which is kind of a pain in the you know what."

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones