• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root New to this rooting business... Can anyone baby me and help me do this?

iTzKPanda

AF's resident panda
Hey. I've been and iPhone user (jailbroken) the past 2 years. I bought my E4GT last Spring but somethinf went wrong and I sent it back for repair. It came a month later but I just kept using my iPhone until a few months ago.

I've gotten most of the functions of Android down but now I'm tempted to root it

I'm still a bit confused on how this process works. I've heard that you need to dl multiple files and others told me about "1-click-root" methods.
Also i've heard that you need to backup your files with like 3 different methods and etc etc so I was wondering if someone could baby me through the steps..

Thanks

Hey there

That's partially true, it's safe to back up your files but not needed.

Is your E4GT on the latest ICS build? 4.0.4 modem FI27

If so, you can follow this method:

http://rwilco12.androidfilehost.com...ted/SPH-D710_FI27_CL1127689_Rooted_NoData.exe

Follow that link, download the 1 click utility, that also WON'T delete your data as well.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=jyEvJ92to64&desktop_uri=/watch?v=jyEvJ92to64

That's a video walk through on how to root from QBKing77 (same method I used and very easy as well).

Using this method, you won't lose any data on your phone.

DS

Yeah, I'm running the latest version

And thanks so much :)

Also, what exactly is a ROM? And all this cyanogenmod stuff i keep hearing about?

Not a problem

A rom is a read only memory

In other words its a completely different android OS, some roms ICS and others are the newer Jelly Bean. Completely changes the entire lay out of your phone as well.

5y8a8ypa.jpg

equda2uq.jpg

Just as an example, these screen shots are from PACman, jelly Bean rom I'm running.

DS

Better yet, I'll try to explain the flashing process as best as I can here.

Items needed:

Mobile Odin from the play store

EL26 kernel/recovery found here: http://db.tt/NrWmc164

Download the rom and gapps from the official xda thread or the thread I have posted in this forum

Instructions:

Open up mobile odin and let it detect your rom, kernel, recovery etc
Tap on the kernel tab, and where ever you downloaded the EL26 kernel/recovery to (internal or external) select it, and navigate to to EL26.

Scroll to the bottom and select flash firmware.

Your phone will reboot, once the splash screen comes up, hold down volume down and power at the same time until a blue screen comes up which is now your custom recovery.

From here, select "backup" using your volume rocker and power button. You'll always want to make a back up before flashing anything.

Once the backup is finished. Go back to the main screen in the recovery, navigate down to factory reset and select it.

Once the phone is reset, now select wipe cache in the same menu, once that's done, go back to your main screen again.

Navigate to "advanced" and from here you'll see an option to "wipe dalvik cache" select it and go back to your main screen once it's wiped.
And from here, you'll select "install zip from sd card", navigate to wherever you downloaded the rom and gapps to, first choose the rom and let it install (could take a couple minutes to install.) once it's finished, then choose to install the gapps using the same method.

Choose to reboot system.

Reboot takes up to 5 minutes.

And you've successfully flashed a rom :)

DS

So do I HAVE to do a factory reset on my phone?

Yes, it's a must otherwise you won't really have CM10 on your device.

Oh I forgot to mention one very handy app.

Titanium Backup

This app allows you to backup all of your user apps along with its data so you don't lose anything important before you factory reset.

DS

Hmmm...so...If I perhaps was considering rooting my phone, perhaps you could point me in the right direction to do so. Could be worth a try. Thanks!

Not a problem.

Is your E4GT on the latest ICS build? 4.0.4 modem FI27

If so, you can follow this method:

http://rwilco12.androidfilehost.com...ted/SPH-D710_FI27_CL1127689_Rooted_NoData.exe

Follow that link, download the 1 click utility, that also WON'T delete your data as well.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=jyEvJ92to64&desktop_uri=/watch?v=jyEvJ92to64

That's a video walk through on how to root from QBKing77 (same method I used and very easy as well).

Using this method, you won't lose any data on your phone.

DS

Better yet, I'll try to explain the flashing process as best as I can here.

Items needed:

Mobile Odin from the play store

EL26 kernel/recovery found here: http://db.tt/NrWmc164

Download the rom and gapps from the official xda thread or the thread I have posted in this forum

Instructions:

Open up mobile odin and let it detect your rom, kernel, recovery etc
Tap on the kernel tab, and where ever you downloaded the EL26 kernel/recovery to (internal or external) select it, and navigate to to EL26.

Scroll to the bottom and select flash firmware.

Your phone will reboot, once the splash screen comes up, hold down volume down and power at the same time until a blue screen comes up which is now your custom recovery.

From here, select "backup" using your volume rocker and power button. You'll always want to make a back up before flashing anything.

Once the backup is finished. Go back to the main screen in the recovery, navigate down to factory reset and select it.

Once the phone is reset, now select wipe cache in the same menu, once that's done, go back to your main screen again.

Navigate to "advanced" and from here you'll see an option to "wipe dalvik cache" select it and go back to your main screen once it's wiped.
And from here, you'll select "install zip from sd card", navigate to wherever you downloaded the rom and gapps to, first choose the rom and let it install (could take a couple minutes to install.) once it's finished, then choose to install the gapps using the same method.

Choose to reboot system.

Reboot takes up to 5 minutes.

And you've successfully flashed a rom :)

DS

Ok, i've delayed this for a while since I'm a bit nervous.
But I decided I'm going to do it tomorrow and I have one question:
Does the kernel you posted on this thread work for FL24?

Ok, i've delayed this for a while since I'm a bit nervous.
But I decided I'm going to do it tomorrow and I have one question:
Does the kernel you posted on this thread work for FL24?

Sorry for being late, ive moved onto the gs3 and don't frequent the e4gt as often.

No it doesn't I don't believe, that's for FI27 only.

Let me track down the proper method.

Edit:

Blah I was thinking that was Agat's FI27 repack kernel, yes the EL26 kernel will work fine on FL24

Back
Top Bottom