• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root newb having trouble rooting phone with CF-Auto-Root

Please don't roll your eyes :)
Sorry, I'm sure you guys see lots of my type of questions, but I'm new to this and don't have the answers.
My phone is a moto g 1st gen 1032. Updated to android 5.1 yesterday.
whole goal here is to see if I can enable aws.
I have the bootloader unlocked.
I have the device drivers installed on my PC

C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot>fastboot devices
TA<stuff> fastboot

When I run root_windows.bat I can see on the phone
cmd: oem get_identifier_token
cmd: oem unlock
cmd: oem unlock
cmd: flashing unlock

Then it hangs. Tried this from 2 different computers. Both have the same result. I have left the phone for 10 or 15 min. I believe it should only take a couple of minutes to run.
I downloaded the latest CF-Auto-Root today
CF-Auto-Root-falconumts-falconreteu-xt1032
One of the msgs there is to "Allow OEM unlock" (if present), but I can't find that option.
I have tried with and without usb debugging enabled. That option always reverts back to "off" when I reboot the phone. Don't know if it should or not.

start of fastboot says
AP Fastboot Flash Mode (S)
41.1A (sha-80481ae, 2015-04-10 14:30:28)
CPU: MSM8226 CS
eMMC: 8GB Sandisk RV=06 PV=07 TY=17
DRAM: 1024MB Hynix S4 SDRAM DIE=4Gb
Battery OK
Device is UNLOCKED. Status Code: 3
Transfer Mode: USB Connected

I have no idea what other info you need to hellp me out.

Do you have the SIM unlocked XT1032, or is it a carrier locked device? If it's unlocked then why don't you just follow the directions on Moto's web site? Doing it manually is far better then using a batch file. Once the bootloader is unlocked just flash TWRP recovery and then flash SuperSU to root it. Cfautoroot isn't needed for our phones if you can unlock the boatloader.

As long as you have fastboot and adb set up on your computer and follow the directions carefully all will go well.

Edit: I just re-read your post. The bootloader info says your bootloader is already unlocked; that's what the status 3 means. That's why it hangs on you because it's trying to do the OEM unlock (for bootloader). Now all you need to do is search XDA for our phones (the Moto G is falcon) and find the TWRP thread. Flash that then flash SuperSU. You'll be rooted.

Sent from my Moto G XT1034 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
thx. Figured the unlock bit out last night. So commented out the flashing unlock lines in the bat file and reran.
supersu is installed, so I THINK it is rooted. Was able to open a terminal and use su, which invoked supersu and got the prompt without errors, but I haven't done anything "rooty" yet.

I have been unable to install either cwm (6.0.4.7) or twrp(2.7.1.0) successfully. CWM will not boot at all, even after leaving for 10 min. TWRP will install, but I can't use it. Slide to unlock doesn't work and neither do any other gestures. All I can do there is power off. I also tried installing TWRP via app, but that will not install. The app loads on my phone, but the install has no valid options. Maybe the phone is not rooted correctly. But that will be the subject for a different thread.

I'm on my phone so can't link very easily to the proper thread, but if you use fastboot to flash TWRP, you won't need root. Don't use the official TWRP; there is an unofficial that has been updated recently that works great. The command in fastboot is: fastboot flash recovery (recovery file name). Once that is done, boot immediately into the recovery. While in recovery, select to reboot recovery. That will ensure that the recovery is made permanent.

Thx, do you mean 2.8.7? I can find that for other devices but not for a moto g xt1032.
Previously I did flash twrp, but couldn't open, then tried the app updated to 2.8.6, but that still doesn't work.
I did find a more recent cwm. philz_touch_6.57.9?? Might try that.
If you remember where to get that unoffical TWRP, pls let me know.

Thx, do you mean 2.8.7? I can find that for other devices but not for a moto g xt1032.
Previously I did flash twrp, but couldn't open, then tried the app updated to 2.8.6, but that still doesn't work.
I did find a more recent cwm. philz_touch_6.57.9?? Might try that.
If you remember where to get that unoffical TWRP, pls let me know.
Here ya go: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2980621

I've got my N7 now so it's easier to get url's copied. I think for now down pad the unthemed one. It's for all falcon variants; XT1032, 1033, 1034, etc.

Edit: oh, use the stock, rather than the GPE (unless of course your phone is the Google Play Edition, or you've converted it to that).

Sent from my Nexus 7 2013 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Thanks
That installed and works. Was able to create a backup. Can't figure out how to get it off my f'ing phone though!
adb pull doesn't work because it can't run see files in /data/media because it isn't root.
I actually moved the files over to Downloads, but I can't copy the files over to my PC. I have no idea why not. I changed the ownership and group to root and chmoded them all to 777
I remember now why I found android so frustrating when I used it briefly a couple of years ago. :)

Added later::::
ok, changed permissions to 664 and back to owned by media_rw:media_rw and was able to copy

Last edited:
You should be able to see it when connected to the computer. Make due you have developer options enabled and Android debugging turned on.

Back
Top Bottom