• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Next Year's Streak

bobnelsonfr

Aug 25, 2010
I've had my Streak for about a year now, and of course I love it.

But... ... we technophiles just cannot be loyal for very long. Wanderlust!

So I've been thinking about my next phone since roughly the day after I bought the Streak. Several technical trends are coming together these days, so it may be a good moment for us to share our thoughts.

I've sketched a next-gen Streak. This device is an evolution (i.e. "total rip-off") of the existing Streak.

My wife has a Galaxy Tab 7", and while it is quite nice to use it is totally not pocketable. Therefore, I've kept the Streak's overall size the same. I've been able to increase the screen size to 5.6" by moving the Home-Menu-Back buttons to one side. This leads to a more squarish form factor.

The screen is 16/9, but I haven't indicated its definition. If 720p is readily and inexpensively available, youpee... but the current screen is excellent so I'd settle for the same quality at 1024*576 or even 960*540.

Front and rear cameras... hoping that video calls will be real some day! :-((

Stereo speakers. A cool screen deserves decent sound!

The PDMI connector goes away, in favor of a HDMI D connector and a microUSB 3.0 connector. The arrival of USB 3.0, Android Ice Cream Sandwich, and multi-core ARM processors are the reasons for this product. I see no logic in using a rare (although "standardized") connector, when there are common industry standards that do exactly what we want.

For short trips, I find the Streak to be an adequate replacement for my Tosh laptop, but for anything more than two weeks I'll take the Tosh. I want it mainly for its on-the-road disk space: 320 Go internal and a remarkably compact WD 1 To external disk doing permanent backup under Genie Timeline (a TimeMachine app for Windows). The next-gen Streak must do as well as the Tosh!

At home, I use the Tosh like a tower. It is attached to a humongous HDMI screen and a sound system, and to a zillion daisychained USB devices: several disks and thumb-drives, a scanner, an HD webcam, an external DVD-burner, ...

I want the next Streak to do the same! I want to have a hot-dock that seats both the USB and HDMI connectors, giving me my office environment instantly. Some products that combine a phone and a laptop or a phone and a tablet are showing up these days. IMHO they are not fully thought out, but they're headed in the right direction.

Somebody is going to do this. In 2012. Why not Dell?

Your thoughts?

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones