• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

NFC or not? If so, it could use new "Beam" technology

Lock-N-Load

Android Expert
Feb 8, 2010
WestSiiiide
So one of the cool, but nearly worthless new features of ICS - which this tablet will have at shipping time ASUS claims - is the new "Beam" function where you can send certain kinds of data (music, photos, links, GPS data, etc) between 2 ICS phones with NFC chips.

Well, we know the coming Samsung Galaxy Nexus is the first phone to ship with ICS and has an NFC chip. So, it would be cool to know if the Prime has an NFC chip so the 2 could actually use this new "Beam" function.

Anyone read anything as I cannot find any spec that lists NFC chip in the Prime and on one hand, it would seem odd they would not given it is a coming new technology that has interesting value but at the same time, maybe not as much value in a tablet versus a phone?

I saw them demonstrate that during the ICS announcement and I'm not sure how useful it is as a feature.

They demonstrated sending a URL and possibly a GPS location between two devices, neither of which is massive amount of data. Unless NFC has the ability to send large amounts of datav quickly, I'm guessing it doesn't, it seems like sending music and files would take as long as using Bluetooth.

So it becomes less of a quick bump and more of hoding two devices awkwardly close for a few minutes.

Upvote 0
Just the other night, and it seems kind of normal, my chick is trying to get me an article to read which then means using one of the "Send" features in the phone. So, I could see it being nice to have 2 NFC chipped devices with ICS able to just mate and Beam.

I guess we will know more when it comes out. But I suspect photos and pdf files and songs and such are natural extensions of this. I do not know enough about how fast NFC is so it might be much better than BT in this respect.

Upvote 0
I saw them demonstrate that during the ICS announcement and I'm not sure how useful it is as a feature.

They demonstrated sending a URL and possibly a GPS location between two devices, neither of which is massive amount of data. Unless NFC has the ability to send large amounts of datav quickly, I'm guessing it doesn't, it seems like sending music and files would take as long as using Bluetooth.

So it becomes less of a quick bump and more of hoding two devices awkwardly close for a few minutes.

You wouldn't send much over nfc, but the nfc bump would negotiate a bluetooth transfer. So you bump to initiate and then just stay in range.

Reactions: Xyro
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones