• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

No more Market

GoNavy

Feb 26, 2012
A little notice that Market was going away and "Google Play Store" was replacing it would have been nice.

Yesterday I downloaded an update to Powerfull Control widget and suddenly my Market app was just gone...spent 15 minutes trying to figure out WTF just happened. No message from google, no notification just now it's here, now it's gone. Finally found a website where it said that market was replaced with Google play store, while looking for a way to get my Market app back. So I looked in my apps section, sure enough, new app "Play Store" was there ...clicked on it took me to what appears to be the same market site, just renamed Google Play Store....I don't know what PO's me more, not notifying me off the change or changing stuff on my phone without my permission. Well if anyone can't find their Market app, this whats going on...lol

edit: here is some info
http://techcrunch.com/2012/03/06/goodbye-android-market-hello-google-play/

It's the same as a market update. Those happen in the background without notice, and indeed you may not have noticed them previously. The only difference here is that they changed the name of the "market" app!

If you are rooted and don't like this you can delete or freeze the "market updater" app. Otherwise it's something you have to live with.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones