• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help No Persistent Message Notification (SMS, MMS, GMail)

blafarm

Unless I'm mistaken, it seems the X only ringtones or vibrates one time when an SMS, MMS or GMail is received.

There does not seem to be a method to allow periodic ringtones, vibrations or LED blinks -- to indicate a message was received.

So the only way to see if you have a message seems to be to wake the phone up.

If true -- this would be a real bummer.

Am I missing something?

I was trying to check this out as well. That's one thing I've grown to love about my Nexus is the the trackball notifications. It's perhaps trivial, but being able to know if I have an unread SMS, email, or missed call by glancing at the phone on my desk is quite helpful.

Thanks for that link -- although it looks a bit rough around the edges.

Does anyone know if this notification problem also exists with POP3 email accounts as well?

Mine seems to only make a sound once (droid), but it flashes a green light until I check for the message.

Yeah.

Very interesting behavior...

I had thought my green blinking LED was just an indication of "Service" -- as I had very diligently deleted all text messages (before setting up an email account) -- and yet it still continued to blink when the phone was in Standby.

That's why I thought there wasn't a persistent LED indicator of a message having been received.

So, I have just setup an IMAP email account -- and the green light has suddenly stopped blinking when the phone is in Standby.

Furthermore, the phone is now providing a persistent blinking LED -- when either a text or IMAP-based email has been received. I assume that POP3 would be the same -- but I haven't tested it.

I am relived to learn that this is working. Hope this explanation helps someone else.

Is this LED able to be set up (via and external app as linked above or otherwise) to blink in different colors depending on the notification event?

Back
Top Bottom