• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Notifications on phone remain, even if I view the content on another device

Phone: S21 Ultra
Carrier: Verizon, 5G

I recently upgraded from the S9+, which was also on Verizon. It was a 4G LTE phone at the time. And it had a neat feature where if I had a push notification for email or facebook messenger, it would clear that notification if I opened my email or facebook messenger on my PC, without me having to unlock my phone. As soon as I open gmail/messenger, the notification disappears on my phone. This was really convenient because it prevented me from seeing notifications for things I already knew about.

However, ever since I upgraded to my S21 Ultra (which is a 5G phone), it doesn't do that anymore. If I get a notification for an email and I open that email on my PC, the notification icon stays on my phone. Its really annoying, because I'll look at my phone and see icons, so I stop what I'm doing and look. But then see they're old notifications.

I've also noticed that notifications take like a full 20 second before they hit my phone, behind getting the notification when at a PC. So, imagine I have my phone next to me at the PC. My messenger tab in chrome dings with a notification, but I don't click it. 20 ish seconds later, that same notification hits my phone. It used to be a few seconds with my S9+.

I am confident that it is not an app problem; the only thing I changed was the phone. I didn't modify settings on any of my apps. That being said, I still reinstalled messenger, and it didn't fix the problem.

Maybe its because 5G is a different beast? I'm not paying for the plan where my traffic is prioritized, could that be it? I have no idea what the correct thing to search on google would be, I've been blindly shooting in the dark for months.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones