• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Oh Crap! Now what?! trying to return V to stock.. used sammyz 'brick trick' and no dice

britchick88

Help!

I sold my V to a friend. They tried to reactivate it. It was rooted with BACKside IHO and had to be returned to stock so they can activate. I tried sammyz ' [GUIDE] Unbrick ANY Soft Bricked Optimus V with Official FW and KP500 and did everything it said.
Now it started up with the Virgin mobile logo and is just sitting with 'android' on the screen... HELP!

Didn't you make a backup of the stock rom?
Did you try to get into recovery holding home, volume down and power button all at the same time?
Was the phone bricked for you to use an unbrick guide?

No, I didn't make a back up because I'm an idiot!
No I didn't, I just followed the guide
No, the phone wasn't bricked but it said I could use it to return to stock :(

I'm being very blonde again...

Unfortunately, i don't have a computer so i won't be much help :( sorry but have patience, because i'm almost positive AndyOpie150 reads this forum every day and i'm sure he will be able to help you.
I swear one of these days i gotta get a PC and learn this stuff, i may as well have blonde hair when it comes to computers:) no offense!

Do you know what baseband your phone is and what recovery you have, it would probably help.

Unfortunately, i don't have a computer so i won't be much help :( sorry but have patience, because i'm almost positive AndyOpie150 reads this forum every day and i'm sure he will be able to help you.
This is good to know!

I swear one of these days i gotta get a PC and learn this stuff, i may as well have blonde hair when it comes to computers:) no offense!
That's fine, I don't mind :)

Do you know what baseband your phone is and what recovery you have, it would probably help.
I have no idea what base band I have, I know I have CWM-Green Recovery v5.0.2.8 if that helps!

Got ninjad, i got to get some sleep but, i would put bob zhome's recovery vnh670 on your phone and flash a froyo rom that has the activate app in it.
Go to the all things root guide sticky^ everything you need will be in there.

Follow Andy's guide how to flash recovery, rom and theme, very best guide there is, sorry got to get sleep.

EDIT : with the froyo rom installed, your friend will be able to activate it.

Good luck

For future reference and readers that may happen onto this thread, if one can still boot into recovery, then just simply flash the Official ZV9 Update that's directly from VM for the OV. No need to be concerned about radio version and/or screen types as this update works for all. This is the simplest and safest way to returning to a completely stock OEM state (i.e., ROM, kernel, recovery, apps, radio, and all):

http://androidforums.com/optimus-v-...w-flash-zv9-update-step-step.html#post4506642

For future reference and readers that may happen onto this thread, if one can still boot into recovery, then just simply flash the Official ZV9 Update directly from VM for the OV. No need to be concerned about radio version and/or screen types as this update works for all. This is the simplest and safest way to returning to a completely stock OEM state (i.e., ROM, kernel, recovery, apps, radio, and all):

http://androidforums.com/optimus-v-...w-flash-zv9-update-step-step.html#post4506642

Geez tli, i should have known that, memory is not what it used to be, thanks.

Question, did the zv9 update ever improve anything for our phone, such as better 3g or anything?

Question, did the zv9 update ever improve anything for our phone, such as better 3g or anything?

Personally, my signal was noticeably more stable and stronger with the ZV9 update--consistent 2-bars, while before the update it would fluctuate up and down, to even 1X. However, others had reported no difference... so YMMV.

I have terrible 3g service, i might have to try the zv9 update, as long as it doesn't get worse. Although since i changed the code in the sysctl.conf file thanks to Andy, my 3g has improved quite a bit.

I have terrible 3g service, i might have to try the zv9 update, as long as it doesn't get worse. Although since i changed the code in the sysctl.conf file thanks to Andy, my 3g has improved quite a bit.
Keep in mind: If you want to root the ZV9 security update you will need something with the Gordita root exploit in it. The Gingerbreak.apk will not work.

Ah, good to hear!!
Nice to see you still know where we are, hope you can stop by more often. Ain't many left to help out here, just a handful of us diehards.
We could use the extra help every now and again.

AndyOpie150

For future reference and readers that may happen onto this thread, if one can still boot into recovery, then just simply flash the Official ZV9 Update that's directly from VM for the OV. No need to be concerned about radio version and/or screen types as this update works for all. This is the simplest and safest way to returning to a completely stock OEM state (i.e., ROM, kernel, recovery, apps, radio, and all):

It'd just like to add that the zv9 update should only be flashed from previously tested recoveries. Bobzhome(vm670nh) recovery is the most used for the process. Cot 2.1 works and I've heard (though not tried) xionia. Cwm green, cwm blue, Zengarden and cwmt all will brick the phone with the zv9 update

Back
Top Bottom