• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Picture orientation is changed automatically in gallery

edisonmendoza

Lurker
Jan 11, 2016
Hi,
I have a Nexus 6 device, and 2 days ago I started to have an issue. After I took a picture using default android camera app, the picture is rotated 180 degrees when I opened the gallery to check my pictures.

It ocurrs with portrait pictures (rotates 180), and when took a landscape picture it rotates 90 degrees to left.

Obviously I can edit each picture to set normally orientation but It not solve the problem.

Not sure I'm following the issue?

If I take a landscape photo (just snapped one off) and go to view it with the phone in portrait mode, it shows in portrai with black bars. Once you rotate the device, the image shows normally.

Take a photo in portrait an when I go to photos, the image is in portrait.

Stock non rooted. Latest updates .

What happened to your device prior to this? Did you add or remove an app? Have you soft reset ?

Tried a different camera app (just grab a free one ) to test?

Upvote 0
Not sure I'm following the issue?

If I take a landscape photo (just snapped one off) and go to view it with the phone in portrait mode, it shows in portrai with black bars. Once you rotate the device, the image shows normally.

Take a photo in portrait an when I go to photos, the image is in portrait.

Stock non rooted. Latest updates .

What happened to your device prior to this? Did you add or remove an app? Have you soft reset ?

Tried a different camera app (just grab a free one ) to test?

I didn't install any app before start to appear this issue. No safe reset and no Android updates was installed.
I installed Camera HD for Android app (free) some minutes ago, opened the new app and picture it shows normal orientation in portrait, took the picture, now open the gallery (photos) and the picture is rotated 180 degrees (in backwards) but still in portrait orientation. Returned to android default camera app and same case here.

Device is not rooted, Android 6.0.1

UPDATE:
Please see the images attached, Image1 is a screnshoot when I took the picture, Image2 is the picture in photos apps in backwards.

Attachments

• Image1.png
    Image1.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 75
  • Image2.jpg
    Image2.jpg
    266.1 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi,
Thanks for your feedback. I did force to close and clear cache options to Photos and Camera apps. Turn off and turn on again the device and nothing changed, the photos app continue showing the pictures in backwards when I took it correctly.

I use a running app too (Nike) to manage my runs and activity. Today I used it to do my workout and the app doesn't register my activity, distance and speed. The app assumes that I stayed stopped all time. I tried with other app and same result.

probably the issue with camera and photos can be vinculated with the pedometer or accelerometer or other thing that stopped inexplicably.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones