• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root PLEASE HELP! Huge folder appeared on SD card and wont delete!

M

magnoidgoat

Hey guys wondering if you could help me out here I have a major problem,

So last night I tried downloading a few songs on to my phone and I got an error saying that I don't have enough space. I have a 4GB sd card and I don't have much on it, so I went into a file manager to check it out, and lo and behold, I see a folder titled "blackmart" taking up 99.88% of my storage space. It has a crapload of random files that are just numbers and weird symbols as the title but I can't open them. The whole folder is 651.57GB, or so the file manager says, which is pretty impossible since my memory card obviously does not hold even a hundredth of that. So I tried deleting it, and it just reappeared. Tried deleting again, again, again... still keeps reappearing.

I do not have a usb for my phone, but I did try connecting it through AirDroid (managing my phone on a desktop over my wifi network) and deleting the folder, but I still get the same results. This is frustrating because I can't download any music or apps or ANYTHING.

If anyone has any ideas I would really appreciate it. Thank you very much in advance!

P.S. Not sure if this is very important but when I first rooted my phone and was still experimenting, I downloaded the BlackMarket app and everything was fine. Then I uninstalled it since I didn't want it anymore, but this folder is here, and I'm almost sure that it is from that app because somewhere in the 1,301 files that are in the folder are a couple of apk files that I downloaded with the app. EDIT: Noticed that when I go to Settings>SD Card and Phone Storage it says I still have 2GB left, but the file manager says differently and I still cannot download anything.

Format your SD card in Settings > SD & Phone storage > Unmount SD Card then Erase SD Card.

Considering you installed an app that calls it self "black market", it's probably laced with malware, too, so you should also go ahead and factory reset your phone. Maybe even flash a new ROM. Stay away from warez, often enough malware is hidden in it.

Format your SD card in Settings > SD & Phone storage > Unmount SD Card then Erase SD Card.

Considering you installed an app that calls it self "black market", it's probably laced with malware, too, so you should also go ahead and factory reset your phone. Maybe even flash a new ROM. Stay away from warez, often enough malware is hidden in it.

Yeah I won't be doing that again. I have so many things I need though on the phone. Is there a way to back EVERYTHING up? So that I can restore it once I'm done with the factory reset?

EDIT: Everything besides for that folder of course :D

Everything on the SD card? Yeah, if you can connect it to a PC and copy all of your files besides that folder. I understand you can't delete the one folder, so maybe you can copy everything else off the SD card and then format it. That should free up the SD card so that you can make backups. You said you're rooted, so check out backup utilities, like Titanium Backup or MyBackup (Root or Pro). System Tuner can also do it. Then you can factory reset after the backups are done. I'd also recommend flashing a ROM, too. It can be a stock ROM or anything else, but malware that uses root access could embed itself anywhere.

Everything on the SD card? Yeah, if you can connect it to a PC and copy all of your files besides that folder. I understand you can't delete the one folder, so maybe you can copy everything else off the SD card and then format it. That should free up the SD card so that you can make backups. You said you're rooted, so check out backup utilities, like Titanium Backup or MyBackup (Root or Pro). System Tuner can also do it. Then you can factory reset after the backups are done. I'd also recommend flashing a ROM, too. It can be a stock ROM or anything else, but malware that uses root access could embed itself anywhere.

I'm a noob when it comes to ROMs and stuff like that. Do you know where I can find a good guide or something explaining it?
And thanks a lot you really helped!

Well...there isn't a good guide on how to do it. Unless you count this guide on XDA...which is ok...but not really noob friendly.

So, by using it, I'll write you a quick/easy guide:

First, you need to get your SD card cleared off. You'll need the space.

You said you're already rooted. Do you have Clockwork Recovery installed? If not, or if you're not sure, you can get the free version of ROM Manager from Google Play and it should install Clockwork Recovery for you.

Next install Titanium Backup or MyBackup Root (or Pro) and back up your apps.

Next, find and download a ROM. I found this one in the XDA area: [ROM][CWM][KJ2] Glorious Overdose V2 [11.19.11] - PDT - xda-developers It's made by the guy that made the noob guide that wasn't really noob friendly. But looks like a good ROM.

Put that ROM on your SD card. It doesn't matter where, but I usually have my ROMs in a directory called 'ROMs'.

Reboot into recovery. ROM manager should be able to do that for you. If not, get Quick Boot from the Play market and select recovery. You can also get into recovery by turning off your device and holding vol up, vol down, and power.

Now, in CWM (Clockwork Recovery), make a back up. Even though we think it may be filled with malware, at least it's a working ROM. Use volume keys to scroll the menu. Use power to select the options.

Now you need to clear cache partition and factory reset. In advanced, there should be an option to clear dalvik cache and I think a format menu to clear /system.

Next go back to the main CWM menu and install zip from sdcard. Then select install from SD card in this menu (again) and find your ROM that you downloaded. It should ask you to confirm that you want to flash. Flash the file.

It'll take a few mins to flash. Once it's done, you can reboot the system. The first boot will take 5-7 minutes. Whenever you clear the cache and dalvik cache partitions, it'll take 5-7 minutes to boot. It's normal.

Once it's done, you have to re-log in with your Google account and reinstall Titanium Backup or MyBackup (whatever) and restore your backup files from the SD card.

Then you're done.

Thank you so much! You're awesome.
One more question though (a stupid one, so get ready) (sorry): After backing up everything and flashing the new ROM and everything do I re-install the backup app from the market? And does MyBackup or Titatnium backup contacts too? And would I have to re-root the phone after?

Sorry, I'm a major noob with android.

Thank you so much! You're awesome.
One more question though (a stupid one, so get ready) (sorry): After backing up everything and flashing the new ROM and everything do I re-install the backup app from the market? And does MyBackup or Titatnium backup contacts too? And would I have to re-root the phone after?

Sorry, I'm a major noob with android.

Heh...that's more than one more question :p

1) After backing up everything and flashing the new ROM and everything do I re-install the backup app from the market?

No. MBP and TiBu both backup the actual app file and the settings contained within them. You would just have to redownload either MBP or TiBu and open it. Then restore the apps.

2) And does MyBackup or Titatnium backup contacts too?

Yes. But do you not have the contacts synced with Google? Most phones do this automatically. Open your contacts app (may be called 'People') and look at a contact. If they show as "Google Contact", that means they're in the Google cloud and will be restored as soon as you log in with your Google account. You can also back up your contacts to your SD card from the people app, if you just want to be absolutely sure.

3) And would I have to re-root the phone after?

No, that ROM will come with SuperUser (root) pre-installed.

-----------------

And we were all noobs at some point. So don't worry about asking so many questions. Asking questions is the only way you'll learn :)

Haha one question always leads to another with me... Thanks for the help :)

Hey,
I haven't been able to get a computer until now, but a few hours ago my phone said "Damaged external sd card. You may have to reformat..." Am I totally screwed?

EDIT: Nevermind I just formatted it and backed the stuff on my phone up which is where the most important stuff were. I'm gonna try flashing that ROM now.

Back
Top Bottom