• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Ran Unrevoked 3 on my EVO.

rkkeller

Android Enthusiast
I am super worry wart when it comes to rooting and have seen similar answers here with search but wanted to make sure in my exact situation.

I have a new EVO running OS 2.2 and ran the Unrevoked 3 on it. Things went fine and I did nothing else except install the wireless tether app.

I don't plan to do or install anything else but what would happen if I installed an OTA OS update?

Would I lose wireless tether?

Would my EVO be bricked or fine?

Thanks,

Rich

I am super worry wart when it comes to rooting and have seen similar answers here with search but wanted to make sure in my exact situation.

I have a new EVO running OS 2.2 and ran the Unrevoked 3 on it. Things went fine and I did nothing else except install the wireless tether app.

I don't plan to do or install anything else but what would happen if I installed an OTA OS update?

Would I lose wireless tether?

Would my EVO be bricked or fine?

Thanks,

Rich

There is always a chance that you cold lose root if you run an OTA update. Losing root would mean losing wireless tether.

There is little chance that running an OTA update will brick your phone. The only instance I have seen of that happening is when folks ran an OTA twice but that had nothing to do with root.

The entire root community recommends that those with rooted phones wait for a rooted version of the OTA update to be released. This sometimes happens even before the official OTA is released.

You WILL lose root if you accept and OTA update. Also, I know many people only root to get access to wireless tether and avoid doing anything else with root access. This is all fine and dandy until an update comes out. Your choices are to accept it OTA(in which you will lose root), or FLASH a ROM with the update installed(even though it may be a stock ROM). Or plod along happily with a phone running on old software. I may be wrong on this but I don't think so. So my point is here, even though you don't want to flash anything on your phone, id you want to keep root AND keep it updated, you might learn how to flash a ROM. It is VERY simple.

Do not accept any OTA. Yes you will lose root (which is not the big deal) however, you wont be fully unrooted because s will still be off (s-off). So when that happens and the new ota comes with a new hboot that is not rootable, your screwed. Perfect example was when the 3.26 OTA was pushed. Word of advice, ether unroot and take the ota or flash a rom based off the ota. Most of the otas have been available o rooted users prior to it being pushed.

Great thanks. I guess its easier to flash a rom than risk problems.

Now I will read up on how to flash roms and where to find new ones.

I have read it some but can't figure out something.

What happens to all my settings and apps after I update my rom this way? I know with an OTA update everything stays the same.

I think I found my answer. After a rom update you will lose all your data and apps. You need to backup your apps and restore afterwards.

Right ?????

not entirely true.... typically if you are staying with ROM author/creator you won't loose anything

for example I have used three versions of FRESH...

I lost everything on the first wipe of phone and addition of FRESH ROM..then he made an updated ROM and I flashed over the 1st, then again flashed 3rd one over the 2nd one.

It's always a good idea to make back ups of everything...but most developers make the updates as painless as possible.

Now it's a different story if you are completely changing from one thing to another ...ie you have a stock rom and go to fresh...you would want to wipe everything and start from scratch with fresh

or if you have a stock rom now, and just want to apply the updated stock rom, flash that new stock updated rom over your current stock rom and you shouldn't loose much if anything

OOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRR...................................

Get Titanium Backup Pro and don't worry about it.....jus sayin'!!!!

OK good. I rooted only for wireless tethering and don't think I am going to do anything else except apply updated stock roms when available.

I did get the free versions of rom manager and titanium backup. Once I see the differences I might buy them.

My understanding was that if you run the latest unrevoked you automatically become nand unlocked and as a result your phone is rooted forever. Is that incorrect?

My understanding was that if you run the latest unrevoked you automatically become nand unlocked and as a result your phone is rooted forever. Is that incorrect?

That is not a correct statement. Unrevoked forever keeps your phone rooted even if you accept an OTA update....in theory. The one click method of rooting is NOT unrevoked forever. But you can certainly maintain root as long as you wish by NOT accepting OTA updates and then staying up to date on the ROM of your choosing....if I understand all of this correctly...

You could be very right flyjbaker but I read somewhere that the act of getting a root is not the same as being able to flash whatever ROMs you feel like. I think for that to happen you have to be NAND unlocked. When you are NAND unlocked you have root forever and you can make NAND backups and so on so forth. I believe the rom manager app would not work properly had NAND unlock happened. Once you are NAND unlocked even accepting OTA would not get rid of your superuser status. Yes it used to be a 2 step process but I think with Unrevoked 3.2.1 it has all been integrated into a single step.

what in the world are you guys talking about :P

if you have 3.29 and prior you can use unrevoked easy root and it gives super user permissions and unlocks nand

(the confusing part is that this was not always the case with unrevoked and people keep finding the outdated info...unrevoked at one time only gave super user permissions and did not unlock nand)

the theory was nand would be unlocked regardless of accepting ota updates but stuff gets messed up...so it's suggested you do not accept those ota updates and look for the rom updates from your dev of choice

as for 3.30+ I haven't read the hboot info over on xda and I am not going to even attempt explaining that until I do.

Back
Top Bottom