• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Random "insert SIM" message??

FirebirdStud

Android Enthusiast
Hi everyone.

I have the SGII from the UK and now using it in America. The phone recently randomly says "insert SIM for network access" or something to that effect. Ill be in my basement on wifi, and then go upstairs and leave, turning off wifi, and it says that there is no network connection. I restart the phone and it is fine. It has also done it randomly while I am out and about too, not using the wifi, so I cant say that toggling wifi triggers it.

Like I said, a simple restart of the phone (no battery pull, no pulling out the SIM and reinstalling it) just restarting it makes it recognize the SIM. Does this mean it is not a hardware problem, but a software issue?

I had the phone on the Vodafone network in England for a year and never got this message. However, now on the AT&T network in Minnesota, USA, it has happened probably half a dozen times in the last two weeks.

I should note that I have rooted the phone, installed the Siyah ICS kernel version 4.1.4+, and installed a more US friendly modem.

Anyone else have this issue, or have any ideas on how to solve it??

Let me know if you need more information to help diagnose the issue as well!!

Many Thanks!

My Galaxy S2 GT-9100 did this once on me... I was like WTD! when I was trying to take a call.... Restarted the phone and it was fine...

I believe its because of lose contacts on the SIM Card. Just took it out and used a pencil eraser to erase the contacts of the SIM Card and it never occurred again :D

EDIT : Its oxide on the SIM contacts that cause this. When your SGS2 is running you can take out the SIM Card... but once you put it back it won't recognize it.. hence the reason why your SIM got detected after you rebooted. BTW, take care of moisture levels in places you keep your phone... its sign of high moisture levels... not good to any phone... cause of array of problems!

My Galaxy S2 GT-9100 did this once on me... I was like WTD! when I was trying to take a call.... Restarted the phone and it was fine...

I believe its because of lose contacts on the SIM Card. Just took it out and used a pencil eraser to erase the contacts of the SIM Card and it never occurred again :D

EDIT : Its oxide on the SIM contacts that cause this. When your SGS2 is running you can take out the SIM Card... but once you put it back it won't recognize it.. hence the reason why your SIM got detected after you rebooted. BTW, take care of moisture levels in places you keep your phone... its sign of high moisture levels... not good to any phone... cause of array of problems!

Ah I see. It's actually been really dry in Minnesota.. I can't think of where I've had the phone in a high moisture environment but I'll take care to avoid them.

The SIM card is less than a month old. But I'll try cleaning it to see if that helps.

Thanks for the response!

Back
Top Bottom