• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Screen cracked issues and questions

I purchased the Moto g 4g version about 2 weeks ago and I love it. Everything about the phone is great. Unfortunately the other day I dropped the phone mabye about 2 ft. and it must have landed on the perfect spot on the corner because the screen spider cracked in a heartbeat. I was surprised how easy it was for the screen to shatter. I know its glass but still (should've had a cover anyways). I am going to get this phone replaced with another of the same version ( I chalk it up to bad luck) straight from the Motorola site so I can get a shell for free with it for some added protection.

Before I do that though, I would like to weigh my options for repair. My phone is not covered by Motorola's new "fix your screen for free once" plan announced about a month ago because I bought it through amazon and not the motorola site directly. The phone works fine, the screen is just cracked. The cracked portions are just fine to touch and use as well, so I believe the digitizer is fine. But before just buying some parts I have a few questions.

1. I own the Motorola Moto G 4g model. I'm assuming its exactly the same as the original moto g in terms of dimensions, but just to be sure: If I find a glass lens online for the Moto g, will it work for my Moto g 4g?

2. If I choose to do the repair option, will this diminish or remove the phone's abilitiy to remain waterproof (with its protective coating)? Not sure if the 3rd party glass lens would have the coating.

3. If anyone has any experience with repairing screens such as this (this will be my first time), what do you suggest? Was it difficult? Any special precautions that need to be taken?

Thanks for the help everyone

Heya man, I'm happy to help with some insight here on this issue.
To go right into it, assume all parts are NOT interchangeable. Assume all parts need to be labeled Moto G 4G.

A search for ebay item# 141337688319
yields a seller claiming to sell the entire assembly as one unit (assembly being glass, digitizer ,and housing) Always question your sources, but I would buy it.

Is changing a screen/digitizer on a phone tough? Yes, assume you will break it. Looking at my G, we have a few screws, and then plastic clips around the edge. You have to work around the seam pf the phone, releasing the tiny plastic clips (like the ones that hold the back cover in, only much more of a bitch to work with) to separate. Then you need to note the screen cable and the rest of the phone's motherboard so you don't ruin it. Watch lots of videos.

Now I've been working on computers for nearly 15 years, and it's taken 12 of them to perfect the art of precisely assembled units like phones. Watch several videos of different devices being taken apart, go slow, and take it easy with all the parts. It it's stuck, then something is holding it in place. Don't break it, and good luck. I've done screens on laptops, Android phones, one iPhone (not worth my time to do again)

Also, assume phone is no longer waterproof once you open it up.

Back
Top Bottom