• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Screen protector disables soft keys on Samsung Galaxy W sm-t255

ElfElfBaby

Lurker
Jun 12, 2014
I recently purchased a Galaxy W in the USA, the 2014 SM-T255 Korean edition with a mammoth 7" screen. With English enabled it's super. However at the end of my first day using it, in the USA, with no problems, I decided to put on a screen protector. The soft keys stopped working. I removed the screen protector. Power cycling did nothing. A full factory reset seemed to restore them after 3 hours. The next day, to see if I could get away with a short screen protector, I tried that and again, they stopped working, immediately and an immediate removal did nothing to help. However, I discovered that in fact they were mis-aligned, and were 'activating' whatever is about an inch or so above them. This is consistent with the Samsung hidden service menu's 'touch' test. Everything on the matrix shown is correctly aligned, but touching a soft key lights up a dot 4 from the side and and above the bottom row. Image included. There is no screen protector anymore on the phone.
Generally, using the device, you need the back key, minimally, so it's not fun. Any advice or diagnosis? I can return it. I'm scared to buy one from someone else who has a no-return policy. And
MVC-671F.JPG
I have written Korean sellers to ask if this is a known issue with the device but no replies yet.
By the way, for interested people, T-Mobile LTE does not work, even though the phone does Band 1 and supposedly, per several Tmo reps, they have actual Band 1 in places, not just Band 4 etc. But the nearest Band 1 to me with any strength at all, still is drowned out by '3g' HSPA, which is actually quite peppy. Dialing etc is fine. And at start up time, the device shows HSPAP, for a few minutes, which no one ever heard of. Wi-Fi is fine. And most apps recognize the device as a phone, and hit the screen in normal phone fashion, not tablet. Removable battery (so necessary!!) and decent specs otherwise.
Thanks to anyone for responding without teasing me about wanting a big screen phone. :rolleyes:

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones