• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Second hand nexus 7 came with kali installed. Some Qs

Joshsh

Lurker
Jul 29, 2017
Hi everyone,

Today I got a great price on a Nexus 7 (2013) from a second hand shop, and when I turned it on, I got a Kali loading animation. Apart from that, I am having a standard android experience. I have a few questions:

1. I thought Kali was an OS, but it's not, is it? What is it exactly?

2. Are there any security risks from leaving it installed? I am kind of worried about the old owner having access to my data (yes, I know how unlikely that is, but humour me)

3. Automatic orientation is broken. The tablet is able to automatically rotate to landscape, but it gets stuck there. I have downloaded a sensor test app but it doesn't get any reading from any sensor (and the fact that it is able to automatically rotate to landscape makes me think it is a software problem). But that's unrelated, right? Any hints here?

4. I didn't love the loading animation. Any way of changing it?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Josh

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones