• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Soft-Bricked my phone I believe, please help.

Thaize

Lurker
So... to start I believe I soft bricked my phone. It boots up but all I can see are rainbow colored lines going up and down the screen.

It was/is rooted with the 5.1 lollipop pre-rooted update posted by Masterchief and Recovery is TWRP.

Everything was working just fine but I decided I would try the flashable zips for system read/write.
The weird thing is I didn't even flash them. All I did was download the two files as instructed then while I was verifying the md5 via md5 checker the phone suddenly froze up then rebooted into the colorful lines.

Behind the scenes I can get it to boot into recovery I know this only because when I do that then attach it to my computer it shows up and I can move stuff around the internal storage + adb devices command through the cmd prompt shows the device and its listed as recovery.

Though when I try to reboot it and not go into the recovery via power button + vol up my computer and adb devices won't detect it.

ADB Shell does work so the device still registers as rooted I guess and I get the #
But no matter what I try I can't seem to get it to boot into fastboot so I can re flash.

Any ideas or help would be very appreciated.

This sounds very strange. So you are saying you can boot into recovery but nothing shows up on the screen? When you boot the phone up does the splash screen come up like before?

No nothing came up, I only knew it was doing something by the slight vibration when I help the power down and the brightness of the colors would change.

I did manage to get this resolved but purely by luck!

After setting there for hours on a rainbow colored screen throwing command at it through ADB I finally took a break and just let it sit there for a few hours.
When suddenly out of the blue the screen just changed and I could see the TWRP recovery menu, So I quickly flashed the last stable nandroid backup I had (which was your pre-rooted 5.1 rom) then proceeded to boot into the phone.
From there I flashed the stock recovery then re-flashed the TWRP recovery just to make sure.

Everything has been fine all day now! =D

Though I still can't figure out while inside TWRP with system mounted I can't move a custom boot animation -_-

Sry @Masterchief87 I have tried to PM you this 16 times over the last 3 days I got a tablet as a gift, its a ZEKI Model TBD753B.
The product board is g08refem62
I have it rooted and want to install TWRP so I can try out some root stuff ,but not being able to back it up has gotten me nervous to try anything . Does TWRP work with any android device ,made for specific device's. Could you point me into the right direction so I could figure this out . Just want to back it up. Just scared I will brick it. Also if its not to much trouble I use your switcher zips for my ZTE and would like to learn that also, I'm proficient in C/C++ and know a little java. Thanks for everything you have done in the past. And thanks in advance if you could point me in the write directions for my other problems.

Sry @Masterchief87 I have tried to PM you this 16 times over the last 3 days I got a tablet as a gift, its a ZEKI Model TBD753B.
The product board is g08refem62
I have it rooted and want to install TWRP so I can try out some root stuff ,but not being able to back it up has gotten me nervous to try anything . Does TWRP work with any android device ,made for specific device's. Could you point me into the right direction so I could figure this out . Just want to back it up. Just scared I will brick it. Also if its not to much trouble I use your switcher zips for my ZTE and would like to learn that also, I'm proficient in C/C++ and know a little java. Thanks for everything you have done in the past. And thanks in advance if you could point me in the write directions for my other problems.
A separate build of twrp has to be made for each specific device. A situation where a device can use a ROM or recovery made for a different device, like the z987 using twrp made for the z970, is very rare. You have to consider what you want to do with a tablet before you buy it. If you want to root and mod it you need to look at devices that have ROMs & recoveries already built. My advise to you would be if you have only rooted the device and you have not done anything else to it, unroot it and return it if you are able to. Then get yourself a nexus. The nexus 7 2013 is inexpensive(you can get a 32GB model for $150 or less if you shop around) and gives you a tremendous amount of bang for your buck. It has around 100 or more ROMs available ranging from 4.3 jelly bean all the way to 5.1 lollipop and will almost certainly get 6.0 marshmallow when that gets released. It also has every custom recovery available(cwm, cwm touch, oudhs, philz, twrp, & multirom twrp).

No nothing came up, I only knew it was doing something by the slight vibration when I help the power down and the brightness of the colors would change.

I did manage to get this resolved but purely by luck!

After setting there for hours on a rainbow colored screen throwing command at it through ADB I finally took a break and just let it sit there for a few hours.
When suddenly out of the blue the screen just changed and I could see the TWRP recovery menu, So I quickly flashed the last stable nandroid backup I had (which was your pre-rooted 5.1 rom) then proceeded to boot into the phone.
From there I flashed the stock recovery then re-flashed the TWRP recovery just to make sure.

Everything has been fine all day now! =D

Though I still can't figure out while inside TWRP with system mounted I can't move a custom boot animation -_-
This sounds like a hardware problem that will almost certainly happen again. I recommend flashing your phone back to factory stock KitKat so that if it happens again you can take it to the store and have them order you a replacement. By the way, if you keep the phone in your back pocket, it can cause all sorts of problems. I had to replace two zmax devices that stopped working because the cheap ass ZTE hardware couldn't take being kept in my back pocket.

A separate build of twrp has to be made for each specific device. A situation where a device can use a ROM or recovery made for a different device, like the z987 using twrp made for the z970, is very rare. You have to consider what you want to do with a tablet before you buy it. If you want to root and mod it you need to look at devices that have ROMs & recoveries already built. My advise to you would be if you have only rooted the device and you have not done anything else to it, unroot it and return it if you are able to. Then get yourself a nexus. The nexus 7 2013 is inexpensive(you can get a 32GB model for $150 or less if you shop around) and gives you a tremendous amount of bang for your buck. It has around 100 or more ROMs available ranging from 4.3 jelly bean all the way to 5.1 lollipop and will almost certainly get 6.0 marshmallow when that gets released. It also has every custom recovery available(cwm, cwm touch, oudhs, philz, twrp, & multirom twrp).
Aye.. My dad mailed me 2 of them... gave 1 to the wife..

Back
Top Bottom