• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Some tired dull questions which Im hoping someone kind and beneficent could answer for me...

Randomname

Lurker
Oct 27, 2011
Hello all, I'm new and posted this in the wrong part of the forum and recieved all of one response and it made me sad. I apologise in advance if these are tedious and/or dull questions for you confirmed droiders... any response however biased would be appreciated... I am a humble student in such matters and moreover I really really want to get myself a new fone.

Ive had a 32Gb iPhone 3gs for about 2 years now, loved it, but the old girl is getting a bit creaky now and my fone company are basically jokers and ... yadda yadda yadda..

Anyway so.. If i were to move to another service provider i could get my hands on a brand new fone (side note: i doubt very much there is a 4G netwrok here where i am in Spain) and i've been rolling all these questions around in my head and thought this may well be the place to ask;

ahem...

1. I would be devastated if i lost my itunes library! it took me YEARS to buy (occasionally "share" it). I do like the system and its the main reason im hesitant to switch. ( another poster kindly pointed out that this was no problem)

2. I suspect that the iphone 4s will be more expensive than the galaxy s2 ( in Spain) im looking at with a new provider.... does anyone have a view on this?? This apple "fanboy" nonsense didnt really take off as much over here in Spain... dont get me wrong im sorry the mans dead n all but he didnt change my life he just made a nice fone...Anyway i'm looking for the best fone i'm not religious. I love my iphone but if the galaxy s2 is better then thats apples loss cos Im a switching...

3. I keep reading that the OS for the Galaxy S2 is purely for the geeks, now i dont mind a little bit of geekery, I liked star wars as much as the next man, but I aint no rocket scientist.... will the newer easier to use ice cream sandwich OS be available to run on the Galaxy S2 or should i wait even longer and get the samsung nexus??

4. I have a nostalgic soft spot for Nokia... I would like them to do well... whats the skinny on the best new Nokias out there? Its seems to me that at the moment my choice is Samsung Galaxy S2 or iPhone 4s.... any other kinky fone suggestion people have??

Im sure these have all been asked a million times so I apologise but im getting sick of looking at the pictures and im about to do some impulsive shopping.... whats down their after I leap??

It may be that this forum is not the place for this post but im lost without your help...anything you may know would be appreciated.

Oh excuse my manners! a very good afternoon to you all!

1. From what I understand this was already solved? If I remember correctly the name of the app you needed is iSyncr

2. In my country, the 4S costs over $1000 (crazy I know) and the S2 costs around $700.

3. No its not for the geeks really lol. Its easy to use and the interface of Android is very intuitive, but the difference is that you can make it do a lot more with a bit of geekery. For example, when you buy an iPhone, what you see is what you get, with an Android phone, what you see can be changed or replaced to something that suits you better. You can make the interface of your phone unique to you.

4. The Nokia 800 is the newest Nokia, the vanguard of their new wave of phones you might say. They're going to be the major carrier of what's going to be the third wheel of the OS battle, the Windows Phone OS. Personally, I too have a soft spot for Nokia, especially since nothing Android has been able to offer me has the capability to equal or challenge Ovi Maps coverage for my country, and that service free of charge for a Nokia phone. I feel though that its still too early for Windows Phones, and I would wait for their app Marketplace to grow more and get the apps I need before I consider changing my primary phone for that OS.

Reactions: Randomname
Upvote 0
Rumor has it that Google will be starting a music service - Amazon already has one.
You could find a used Ipod, and I have friends on Sprint that seem to have an ITunes account. ( they use the Pixi)

You can hook up with Itunes on a computer also. Whether or not you can transfer to device, I don't know.

Upvote 0
Since you came from a 3GS, the learning curve would be less steeper if you get the SGS2. You may find yourself more frustrated at first using a Nexus since its basically barebones Android (even if its ICS) that a lot of the functions that are native to SGS2 or Android may not be present in ICS and you would still have to look for or buy an app that does those things.

Upvote 0
I have a Galaxy S2 and it is an amazing phone, but it does suffer a little bit from manufacturer and carrier bloat. Samsung adds what they call TouchWiz as an addition to the stock OS. Some people don't like it. I have a few issues with it, but they're minor. If I were in your position, I'd have a hard time not waiting for the Galaxy Nexus. When it comes out, it will no doubt be the latest and greatest, primarily because it will be the first phone with Ice Cream Sandwich. I'm sure the Galaxy S2 will get it eventually, but it will probably be a minimum of several months. At least that's what I'm expecting. Also, since the Galaxy Nexus will be a Google phone, it will be the version of the OS that they designed, without any manufacturer additions to it. Some people like the idea of that.

I, too, am a recent iPhone owner. I came from the 3GS just like you, so I, too, was married to iTunes. There are plenty of programs that can sync your iTunes library to an Android phone. A lot of people use DoubleTwist, but I have heard some people having issues with it. I have been using TuneSync and really like it. It allows you to sync any iTunes playlists wirelessly to your phone. Simple to use, too.

I don't know about you, but I started getting bored with my iPhone. It was just too simple and bland, causing it to start feeling stale. If you feel the same way, you'll probably love an Android phone. The notification system alone is worth the purchase price, though from what I understand the newest version of iOS fixes this issue, going to system very similar to what Android has.

If you still really like the iPhone and just want a new, faster version, I say stay with it and get the 4S. If you want something different, then I think an Android phone will suit you. And as long as you get one of the newer phones, I don't think you can go wrong.

I hope this helps and happy phone hunting.

Upvote 0
Superb responses thankyou. As it happens Ive spent the last 3 days pouring over the internet searching deals, as of yet the 4s is so expensive as to be rudely priced, the marriage (lol) is over! Sadly even with a contract which rolls in around fifty euros a month I'll still have to fork out 130 euros to get a S2 handset ... I want it though... But my avaricious eyes have been caught by the Xperia arc S which will cost 70 euros on a 30 euros a month contract... It looks nicer to the eye ... It's not dual core though.... Hmmmm .... Does anyone have an opinion on that handset? Does anyone have one? What do you think? I'm sitting here as desperate as a nun in cucumber patch ...

Upvote 0
Superb responses thankyou. As it happens Ive spent the last 3 days pouring over the internet searching deals, as of yet the 4s is so expensive as to be rudely priced, the marriage (lol) is over! Sadly even with a contract which rolls in around fifty euros a month I'll still have to fork out 130 euros to get a S2 handset ... I want it though... But my avaricious eyes have been caught by the Xperia arc S which will cost 70 euros on a 30 euros a month contract... It looks nicer to the eye ... It's not dual core though.... Hmmmm .... Does anyone have an opinion on that handset? Does anyone have one? What do you think? I'm sitting here as desperate as a nun in cucumber patch ...

If you're not exactly a power user, a single core device would be enough.

Upvote 0
I personally would stay iOS if married to iTunes. Just easier to snyc everything and what not. Not saying there aren't plently of apps that can do it. Doubletwist and or gomobile would do it. Just might seem confusing at 1st.

With that said, if wanting to switch the lastest and greatest will be in the form of ICS on the Nexus Galaxy and will be a beast of a phone. Will be a Google phone and get immediate updates, which is cool if you like to tinker and want something new in due time.

You get a regular Samsung phone like the galaxy S2, then updates will be painfully slow! Well probably faster than updates from apple still, lol!

Those experia phones look nice though.

Good luck with your choice, I don't think you could go wrong with any of them honestly. I am rocking an old school (old in technology years.) in a mytouch4g and still love it. I am stock still as well. ....lol!

Apple is so tied down, unless jailbroken. ...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones