• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Sound question: Galaxy Note 10.1

ElviraKate

Oct 9, 2012
One of the reasons I went for this Note - besides the fabulous S-pen - was the fact that even in the Apple-rabid reviews, the sound was praised. The sound on the built-in music app seems OK on mp3s, I haven't tested it extensively, but the sound on webpages, eg YouTube, is awful, really tinny. I was listening to a Mozart piano sonata, which sounds lovely on my Dell XP15, sounds good on a friend's Ipad, and sounds like a really cheap tranny on the Note. There's much too much treble and hiss. I listen mostly to classical music, but I'd have thought the lack of bass would be a problem in most music.

Is there anything I can do to tweak this? I can't find any kind of equaliser/bass/treble controls.

Grateful for any hints.

Kate

One of the reasons I went for this Note - besides the fabulous S-pen - was the fact that even in the Apple-rabid reviews, the sound was praised. The sound on the built-in music app seems OK on mp3s, I haven't tested it extensively, but the sound on webpages, eg YouTube, is awful, really tinny. I was listening to a Mozart piano sonata, which sounds lovely on my Dell XP15, sounds good on a friend's Ipad, and sounds like a really cheap tranny on the Note. There's much too much treble and hiss. I listen mostly to classical music, but I'd have thought the lack of bass would be a problem in most music.

Is there anything I can do to tweak this? I can't find any kind of equaliser/bass/treble controls.

Grateful for any hints.

Kate

Are you posting of the built in speakers?

Upvote 0
The speakers are good, it doesn't try overly hard to emulate bass, so it doesn't distort but you it actually does a pretty decent job of midrange without sounding tiny. I'd say they're comparable to most laptop speakers, even better than some... Not my n53sv mind you.

I use them for watching movies etc and even bassy stuff on youtube it does a good job with, they're not overly loud but that's probably to avoid distortion...

I'd say it's either something to do with having the volume up too loud on your audio file (which is what usually causes hiss).

Download Poweramp... I'm not sure if it's out yet for tab but you should be able to find a normal phone version of poweramp that will work on it. You can download a phone trial version of it from 4shared, and it seems to work on my tablet ok. Power amp allows you to adjust treble, bass etc and has a whole heap of good equalizing fucntionality built into it... It converted my sgs2 from a POS to sounding quite nice... On the headphones anyway

Upvote 0
Tried PowerAmp but of course it doesn't do anything for the sound on YouTube or BBC Iplayer etc. I can't believe these speakers are right. Have spoken to Amazon who are going to replace the unit. Fortunately I hadn't downloaded anything but free apps and all my photos etc are on a microSd. Thanks for the suggestions.

Upvote 0
Thanks, but no thanks! If I wanted to use external speakers I'd use my Linn ones. I expected the sound on this to be much better - I think something's wrong, so I'm returning it and getting a replacement.

Well you were crying to us about you'r not getting great sound quality from you'r tablet speakers. So we tried giving you some guidance.:rolleyes:

Upvote 0

Grateful for any hints.

Kate

Well you were crying to us about you'r not getting great sound quality from you'r tablet speakers. So we tried giving you some guidance.:rolleyes:

Crying? That's a bit extreme and the OP didn't say anything to warrant this. She clearly asked if there were tweaks which could be done and didn't ask to be beat up on cause you decided she should buy an external speaker.

I don't know Kate if the Note has a built in equalizer but there are some free ones in the play store you can try. There's also Volume+ that allows for speaker, headset and bluetooth sound customization.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the backup! There are equalisers in the built-in 'Music Player', and they make a bit of a difference on music files if you turn the treble right down and the bass right up, but it doesn't affect sound coming via YouTube or BBC Iplayer, and even on sound files there's still that tinny hiss I haven't heard since the days of tiny trannies. I'm not sure if any app could affect the raw sound rather than music files - but I've noted the ones you suggest.

I do think there's something wrong - Amazon were very good and are sending me a replacement on Monday. I hope the new one will be different. If not, I'll try your suggestions, but may have to resign myself to using the laptop for anything with music. Thanks again for taking this seriously.

Kate

Upvote 0
Thanks for the backup! There are equalisers in the built-in 'Music Player', and they make a bit of a difference on music files if you turn the treble right down and the bass right up, but it doesn't affect sound coming via YouTube or BBC Iplayer, and even on sound files there's still that tinny hiss I haven't heard since the days of tiny trannies. I'm not sure if any app could affect the raw sound rather than music files - but I've noted the ones you suggest.

I do think there's something wrong - Amazon were very good and are sending me a replacement on Monday. I hope the new one will be different. If not, I'll try your suggestions, but may have to resign myself to using the laptop for anything with music. Thanks again for taking this seriously.

Kate
Those are external sources so being able to change how something sounds may be challenging. I've come across things on Youtube that sound absolutely horrid and nothing I do on my end can make it better.

Hopefully someone who knows much more about this can chime in.

And you're welcome! :D

Upvote 0
To test this, I used one particular YouTube clip, a Mozart piano sonata movement recorded in concert - it sounded really good on my laptop, fine on my friend's Ipad (grrrr) and hideous on the Note. But even less sensitive speech clips sound too trebly. I'll report back when the replacement Note arrives.....

Kate

Upvote 0

Hey be nice to the female poster ! It's totally missing the point anyway, who wants to lag around external speakers. I had thought the built in ones would be comparable with the ipad, seems not them

Upvote 0
To test this, I used one particular YouTube clip, a Mozart piano sonata movement recorded in concert - it sounded really good on my laptop, fine on my friend's Ipad (grrrr) and hideous on the Note. But even less sensitive speech clips sound too trebly. I'll report back when the replacement Note arrives.....

Kate

I would be interested in your findings, not good if there is no way to get even minimal mid range at least

Upvote 0
It's very odd, really. The new Note arrived and I experimented with both, using YouTube, BBC Iplayer, and various music files. There was a bit of difference but not much. Stuff heard directly from the internet is still too trebly - are any of you old enough to remember what a transistor pocket radio sounded like when you turned the volume up to full? That kind of hissy rattle? That happens a lot. On the other hand, I've now got the Music Player sounding relatively decent, though nothing like my laptop. Perhaps PowerAmp or something like that will improve sound files further. Speech (BBC news, for example) is OK, very clear - the treble emphasis assists this. I tested that using Julia Gillard's fabulous rant in the Australian Parliament last week.

I begin to think that the raw sound is optimised for clarity in gaming and films, and assumes that the recorded bass is already over-heavy on the game/film's soundtrack. And I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that Mozart sounds crappy.... who listens to Mozart on a tablet anyway?

Anyway, the reason I bought the Note was for the SPen facility, and that's really good. I never intended it to play a lot of music on - but it still irks me that the basic sound should be so completely unadjustable. Even the tranny had a bass/treble knob.

Upvote 0
The basic sound has too much treble and not enough bass. It's probably OK for speech radio like LBC and BBC Radio 4, but YouTube music videos or Radio 3 sound tinny and seem to overload the speakers. You can tweak the Music Player settings to reduce treble and boost bass, and then music files, even classical ones, sound more or less OK. However, this doesn't seem to affect the basic sound settings, which are used when you listen to something off the Web. My friend's Ipad3 has much better basic sound - we played some classical YouTube clips on it and the levels were perfectly decent, though the volume wasn't loud. However, he *has* to play stuff via the Internet, having no Sd storage facility.
If you want to compare, the main clip I used for comparison was this:
Christian Blackshaw: Mozart Sonata C major K330 Part 3 - Allegretto - YouTube

It is quite a challenge, as the recorded volume is low, but it was precisely this one that sounded so good on the Ipad and so horrible on my first Note - the replacement Note sounds a bit better, but I am convinced the factory settings are not good for music, and wish there was some way of tweaking them.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones