• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Speaker sounds terrible

breynolds007

Just picked up my 16gb from Wally World and love it. The only problem is the speaker on the back. It sounds pretty bad overall and especially past about 50%. Just watching YouTube videos sound bad, so music is basically awful. I'm well aware this tablet is a bargain, so if this is normal because they were cutting costs its okay because I'll be using headphones most of the time (which sound great). Just kinda put a bad taste in my mouth because everything else is so good and the sound quality is basically awful. I didn't see anything in the Phandroid forums, but found some others where people had a similar issue and returned and the new one is better. Others mentioned it's not great, but not bad. I'm gonna try to stop somewhere and check the sound on the display model. Anyone else experience this or is your sound pretty decent?

I think my sound is pretty decent. In fact, when I first played something with sound I remarked to my boyfriend how good it sounded, and he agreed. It isn't spectacular, mind you, just better than I expected.

I was disappointed with my speaker as well. I cannot hear much out of it even with a booster. I bought a little bluetooth speaker and it rocks now. Only problem is BT makes Google search very slow.

Just picked up my 16gb from Wally World and love it. The only problem is the speaker on the back. It sounds pretty bad overall and especially past about 50%. Just watching YouTube videos sound bad, so music is basically awful. I'm well aware this tablet is a bargain, so if this is normal because they were cutting costs its okay because I'll be using headphones most of the time (which sound great). Just kinda put a bad taste in my mouth because everything else is so good and the sound quality is basically awful. I didn't see anything in the Phandroid forums, but found some others where people had a similar issue and returned and the new one is better. Others mentioned it's not great, but not bad. I'm gonna try to stop somewhere and check the sound on the display model. Anyone else experience this or is your sound pretty decent?

the headphone output is pretty bad as well, lol.

I don't have an issue with the sound quality with the built-in speaker, it's OK, but the volume is too low for me.

I don't have an issue with the sound quality with the built-in speaker, it's OK, but the volume is too low for me.
Yea thats the big issue with mine is, volume is to low. Sound isnt all that great, but I've not seen a mobile device with great speakers yet so lol.

not to easy if watching a movie, but I find if you hold the device so your hand cups the speaker area at the back it amplifies the sound quite a bit

I've found the speaker to be about as good as any phone I've used. Nothing special but good for games and Pandora in the background. I've got mine hooked up with an output cable to my Boston Acoustics stereo radio in my office and it sounds very good playing music via PowerAmp - as good as my SGS3. I haven't used it with my headphones yet, but I don't expect to be disappointed.

Considering the cost of this lean mean Tegra 3 machine, I never expected my N7 to be perfect at everything. But putting it next to my wife's Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7" (which cost the same $250) there's absolutely no comparison in terms of performance or sound. It's not perfect at everything, but for the money it's hard to beat. :D

Admittedly those tiny speakers in the N7 are not the best volume wise. I had to install a volume booster app to be able to hear anything on Netflix. As far as the headphone jack I have no complaints with sound quality though I'm using lower end Sennheiser over the ears headphones. I'm listening to Dire Straits Money for nothing right now. While not like listening to a high end system the bass hits are still great. I wouldn't get that with $6.00 earbuds though. I knew that sound quality from the built in speakers wouldn't be any better than my cell phone and don't expect miracles. I have some small travel speakers that I use when I want more sound. For what I paid I couldn't be happier with the N7. Warts and all.

Joe

Stopped and checked one on display, watched about 30 seconds of a YouTube video and it sounded much better than mine. It sounded pretty clear and mine has a lot of crackling and distortion. I'll be exchanging it...hope I don't run into any other issues with the new one. I really like this tablet. :beerglass:

Stopped and checked one on display, watched about 30 seconds of a YouTube video and it sounded much better than mine. It sounded pretty clear and mine has a lot of crackling and distortion. I'll be exchanging it...hope I don't run into any other issues with the new one. I really like this tablet. :beerglass:

Good move - You just might have a lemon there. :thumbup:

Yeah, suspicions were true, exchanged it today and the new one's speaker sounds wayyyy better. Guess it was just a lemon. Score.

I actually thought my Nexus 7 sounded pretty good. Way better than my Galaxy Nexus, Thunderbolt, Incredible, Droid, Fascinate.... I can go on. The last "mobile" device that sounded "good" was my old Voyager.

I watched the entire Transformers movie on the tablet and was kind of impressed with both the screen and the sound. I have a cheap case for it, maybe that helped... I don't know. I haven't tried the 3.5mm yet, just haven't needed to.

Mine sounds great. Its not as loud as my GS3...but its plenty loud, and clear as a bell without any crackling

Back
Top Bottom