• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sprint Galaxy Note 3 Issues

iTzKPanda

AF's resident panda
Hey guys, so I'm planning to upgrade to the Note 3 on Black Friday (fingers crossed for a sale on it somewhere :rolleyes: ).

Now I've been reading through Reddit and other forums and there seems to be an issue regarding a popping/statiky sound while talking to someone on the phone. It seems to be a Sprint related issue since I haven't seen someone on another carrier have an issue with that.

So my question is if that's the only major bug on the phone.

Thanks!

Here are the issues I've seen on various forums, poor call quality on some, Wi-Fi not staying connected, lose home button, low signal strength on a few, and some heating up around the camera. Just be sure to put it through it's paces during the 14 day return period. I don't think these issues effect every note 3 just some.

Hey guys, so I'm planning to upgrade to the Note 3 on Black Friday (fingers crossed for a sale on it somewhere :rolleyes: ).

Now I've been reading through Reddit and other forums and there seems to be an issue regarding a popping/statiky sound while talking to someone on the phone. It seems to be a Sprint related issue since I haven't seen someone on another carrier have an issue with that.

So my question is if that's the only major bug on the phone.

Thanks!

Wrong network firstly. There are many instances of the Sprint version as well as the Verizon with issues with sound quality.Got to remember that this phone was designed around the international GSM spec, the CDMA versions are all work arounds.

Wrong network firstly. There are many instances of the Sprint version as well as the Verizon with issues with sound quality.Got to remember that this phone was designed around the international GSM spec, the CDMA versions are all work arounds.

Does that go for the note 2 also?

Sir Panda;
Yes, there seems to be (are) issues with the Sprint Note 3...
I have one and the four problems I have are:
1. The voice quality you noted. I have read other carriers are have this problem too.
2. WiFi dropping out when you have any weak signal.
3. Poorer signal then other phones. I am comparing it to my Note 2 (on Sprint).
4. Google Services eating my battery at night.

All have threads here on this board.
What is so frustrating is that the first 2 are intermittent.
The last 2 are items that I can live with.
Sprint acknowledges the voice problem.

Now I LOVE my Note 3!!!! I use it for more than a phone, it has so many great features.
I could still exchange it as I am right at my 14 day period but it is a royal pain in the pants to reload and set up my Galaxies. (You know the little things).

I am happy that I got on the band wagon early.

Good Luck on your decision. :smokingsomb:

Lateck,

Its a bit like ordering a Sig or Glock in 45 and bitching about it. We all know they were originally designed for 9mm in mind. Rest is just marketing and fail on the manufacturers side.

Do yourself a favor and move to something internationally recognizable, like GSM. In your case ATT or T mobile.

I have one on Sprint and I don't have any real issues to speak of. Sometimes its a little laggy to wake up when I press the power button but it isn't a big deal. It's a great phone. You're gonna love it.

I have the popping/crackling, but it does seem to be better when I turn off the HD voice settings.

I'm hoping for a software issue because that can be fixed with an OTA update.

If it ends up being a hardware issue, I hope all Note 3's purchased prior to a certain date are allowed to be replaced with completely brand new ones that have the hardware fix.

It really doesn't bother me much, since I don't make a lot of phone calls, but it is something that I'm hoping Sprint and Samsung figure out. Sprint is already well aware of the issue. I called in, just to have it indicated that I reported the issue on my phone as well (so that I don't have to explain further, if this ends up being a hardware fix).

so far for me i have not noticed and call quality issue on my phone. i seem to have better 4g signal strength then my previous phone evo 4g lte.

i really love the note 3 so far, by far the best phone i have ever owned yet!!!!

Sprint is aware of the voice quality issues with the note 3. We are creating tickets to send to Samsung to partner with them to get it fixed. If you are having the issues call and speak with tech and they need to file a ctms ticket.

Yeah, that's actually close to verbatim what the rep told me, that it was good that I called in, so that it can be reported as a wider spread issue and increases the priority level for Samsung and Sprint.

Nonetheless, still not a huge issue for me. The calls are clear enough, whenever I do need to make calls, but I really do hope it's a software issue. A massive recall will not be good for Sprint. Not only will it be an inconvenience to the customer (and who knows whether Samsung/Sprint will actually give customers "new" phones or refurbished, as replacements), but it will also be a big hassle for Sprint, since they are having to justify so much while NV is still an on going and extremely long process.

Sprint is aware of the voice quality issues with the note 3. We are creating tickets to send to Samsung to partner with them to get it fixed. If you are having the issues call and speak with tech and they need to file a ctms ticket.

I have called. I was told that they are aware of the voice issue.
I was told to take my phone into a Sprint store for the WiFi issue to see if the antena was loose. The Sprint store would not open my note as it is to new.....
The problems are intermittent, so it is hard to show on demand.
I know that there might be problems, but I bought a "High End" phone and would expect better quality. ;)
(I would let SIG Sauer know if one of their items was not up to snuff, too).
I am hopeing the issues are software related and can be addressed.
But, I really love my Note 3. It's better then the 2 and/or anything else out there...... (for me).
:smokingsomb:

Lateck,

I have the popping/crackling, but it does seem to be better when I turn off the HD voice settings.

I'm hoping for a software issue because that can be fixed with an OTA update.

If it ends up being a hardware issue, I hope all Note 3's purchased prior to a certain date are allowed to be replaced with completely brand new ones that have the hardware fix.

It really doesn't bother me much, since I don't make a lot of phone calls, but it is something that I'm hoping Sprint and Samsung figure out. Sprint is already well aware of the issue. I called in, just to have it indicated that I reported the issue on my phone as well (so that I don't have to explain further, if this ends up being a hardware fix).

Just got my replacement. If anything, the home button has MORE play... :p

I have not noticed any issue with my wifi, 4g was doing real well.

But, the voice/noise issue seems to be just as bad or worse... :(

How do you turn off HD voice settings???

Just got my replacement. If anything, the home button has MORE play... :p

I have not noticed any issue with my wifi, 4g was doing real well.

But, the voice/noise issue seems to be just as bad or worse... :(

How do you turn off HD voice settings???

Menu>Settings>DeviceTab>Call>Personalize Call Sound (turn off)

I never would have found that... thanks.

I called Sprint to report it again. The young lady said that she was told to tell me that the store may have a bad batch and ask them to get me another nother one... lol.

I never would have found that... thanks.

I called Sprint to report it again. The young lady said that she was told to tell me that the store may have a bad batch and ask them to get me another nother one... lol.

No prob. Only reason I knew is because I've developed a habit, since my first Android phone, to go through the settings of each and every app I've downloaded (it's also helped me avoid apps pulling data and draining battery, due to built in Sync settings).

I really do hope that the issues are software related. Hardware replacements would be such a pain and I could easily see "justifications" being made for giving customers "refurbished" replacements, rather than brand new ones. I'm past my 14 days at Best Buy, so whatever happens now will come down to Sprint and Samsung.

I have the last attempt at one working coming in tomorrow. Thursday is last of my 14 days.

If this one doesn't work I am going to salvage my upgrade and get one later on after it looks like they have things straightened out with it...

Thanks for the replies everyone!
I think I'm settled on the Note 3. And if it doesn't work out, I'll just return it within the 2 week period and get the G2.

Thanks for the replies everyone!
I think I'm settled on the Note 3. And if it doesn't work out, I'll just return it within the 2 week period and get the G2.
That's the sensible decision, IMHO.

If this device had widespread inherent flaws, it would be BIG news.

So far, the only issue that has garnered that kind of attention is the region lock.

just got an update. If it is to fix voice issue or just the update spoken about on SamMobile, i'm not sure.

I haven't had any of the call issues listed.

I did have a problem with my home WIFI (had an old Linksys WRT54GS) not connecting after it did for 2 weeks. But I had another router (Netgear) which I set up and it works fine for now. We'll see how it works after 2 weeks on this router.

Back
Top Bottom