• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Stock broswer 'download unsuccessful'

gardenoam

Lurker
Apr 23, 2012
This is on my Sony Xperia S.
When trying to download anything (pdf, word files, etc) through the stock browser I get a 'download unsuccessful' notification.
This did not happen before, and I don't know why this is now happening.
I restored browser back to factory settings and deleted all browser history, cache, etc.
I can't find anything obviously wring with the path for downloads (sdcard/download)
I tried on a different browser (Dolphin) and had the same problem.
However, downloading apps through Google Play still works no problem.
Any fixes or suggestions much appreciated as it's driving me mad.
Thanks in advance :eek:)

This is on my Sony Xperia S.
When trying to download anything (pdf, word files, etc) through the stock browser I get a 'download unsuccessful' notification.
This did not happen before, and I don't know why this is now happening.
I restored browser back to factory settings and deleted all browser history, cache, etc.
I can't find anything obviously wring with the path for downloads (sdcard/download)
I tried on a different browser (Dolphin) and had the same problem.
However, downloading apps through Google Play still works no problem.
Any fixes or suggestions much appreciated as it's driving me mad.
Thanks in advance :eek:)

the reason is that the file type you are trying to download is unknown or not associated with an existing application.

if you want to download pdf file, install acrobat reader first through play store

if you want to download rar, zip etc... download and install archidroid from playstore

with words, maybe using the office

so it's just file association ... that's all... good luck!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones