• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Strange tethering issues.

Tayron

Lurker
Nov 24, 2011
Okay, for starters, this post is probably going to get a bit rambley, mostly because there's a lot of lil details, and this problem has me utterly stumped.

Essentially, wife got a shiny new my touch phone, which works great. Decided just the other night, to try out the tethering on it...this too, works fantastically. ...For her computer... (A mac.)

Tried on my computer (windows 7, firefox), and it worked for about 5 minutes....then it bounced me to a t-mobile redirect screen, saying that setting up tethering would be a great idea. Apparently it forgot, she has tethering.

Mind you, all the while, she is having no issues at all. Had her disconnect her computer from the tether, and reconnected mine..and it worked fine, all night. There is, of course, no logical reason it should limit it to only one device, we've already looked into that...but whatever, it worked.

Thus brings us to tonight. She connected just fine, as had been the case for a few days. I got on, and it did the several minutes of working, before kicking me to a redirect.
Had her disconnect, and I reconnected....only this time, it still bounces me to the redirect page.

Reboot, fiddling with settings, both on phone, computer, etc...still no avail, redirect page every time.
.... That was until I tried internet explorer, just outta curiosity. To my surprise, this works perfectly. Even with her computer connected.
Downloaded and installed Google Chrome...this too, works perfectly.

Yet almost everything I try to access via Firefox, bounces me to a redirect page.
Except Facebook. For some unknown reason, Facebook loads just fine...which is even more annoying, because that's the one page I don't give a darn about.

Naturally, the redirects stop when I disconnect from the phone, and go back to my slow lil DSL connection.

Done virus/spyware scans, and all the like, just incase...all come up blank, so I know it's not some nasty piece of malware buggering things up. Google search has failed me in this, so I come pleading an answer here.

Anyone have the faintest idea why only Firefox would be effected by the redirects, and how to stop them?

I've used tethering when in a hotel that either didn't provide aWi-Fi connection or, alternatively, wanted to charge an arm and a leg for it. My wife and both run Win 7 and both use Firefox with no problem. Certainly not a number of connections issue, as we had a third person in a hotel connect to us on one occasion before I filtered him out. It has been a while and something may have changed in the latest Android version. I'll test it when I get a chance and reply again, but today is Thanksgiving and will be kinda busy.

Upvote 0
This is based on what I have read on various forums, so take it with a grain of salt.

Are you paying T-Mobile for tethering service?

If not, I believe they detect what browser you are using, and possibly the browsers you are succeeding with look like mobile browsers, while the browser you are failing with looks like a PC browser. If that's the case, Google for "user agent".

If you are paying for the service, then I dunno :-(

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones