• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Switching carriers from VZW in Orange County, CA

cyde01

I am a Verizon Wireless customer grandfathered into an unlimited data plan. I had a 1st gen Moto Droid Razr which I broke 2 days ago, the insurance won't cover it. Completely destroyed. :(

So now I need a new phone. Can't upgrade on VZW without losing unlimited data, and I'm a pretty heavy data user, I typically use 5-6 gigs of data a month but at times have used up to 12 gigs in a month. I definitely wanna keep the unlimited data but I'd have to buy an unlocked phone in order to keep the VZW unlimited data plan. I'm a long time Verizon user, I've hardly ever dropped a call on VZW and the data speeds were fast when the phone itself wasn't running slow, but I'm kinda fed up with VZW no longer offering unlimited data.

So I was looking to upgrade to a HTC One, Xperia Z1 or the Nexus 5 when it's announced, but I'm seriously considering switching carriers to T-Mobile or Sprint, and wanted some advice. A VZW rep tried to use scare tactics on me to prevent me from switching, he said that carriers with supposedly unlimited data plans will actually try to find a reason to cancel a heavy data user's plan (5-6 gigs a month), so no other carrier's unlimited data is as good as VZW grandfathered unlimited plan. Can anyone here confirm T-Mobile or Sprint doing this?

I'm leaning more toward T-Mobile because I like their plans and I've heard bad things about Sprint, but people have told me they've gotten a lot of dropped calls on T-Mobile. Is there anyone from Orange County CA who can comment on T-Mobile's reception and LTE coverage in this area? So in a nutshell, these are my main considerations

• I'm a heavy data user (5-6 gigs)that wants a true unlimited LTE data plan. no throttling, no letters from the carrier saying "I know we gave you an unlimited data plan, but you're simply using way too much, so we're gonna cancel you." Testimonials of heavy data users on T-Mobile or Sprint unlimited data plans would be much appreciated.
  • I want good reception in my home area of Orange County CA, especially where I work (Costa Mesa) and where I live (North Irvine, Tustin) If anyone can comment on data and call reception for T-Mobile and Sprint in these areas that would be much appreciated.
  • I'm single so those family plan things won't work. The amount of minutes I get is secondary to the data plan. I'd basically like to get bang for the buck, but good data and call reception in my home area is very important. I'm hoping I can keep my old# as well but I heard you can still do this even if you change carriers.

This isn't the best answer, but you can go with a Device Payment Plan through Verizon. You STILL have to pay retail for the phone, but you pay for it over a years' time. And yep, you keep unlimited data. :)
This is the route I took when I got my G2.

Thanks so much for the maps, that's a great resource. Are there any heavy data users who have made the switch from VZW to T-Mobile and can comment on T-Mobile's unlimited data plan?

Back
Top Bottom