• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Swype and Google Keyboards - English UK Language with English US Layout

Stuntman

Android Expert
What is a Canadian to do? We spell like the UK, but use dollars like the US. With the Swype and Google keyboards, if I select the UK language, the layout does not have the dollar sign in the main symbol layout. I have to press an extra button to go to the secondary symbols in order to get the dollar sign. Is there any way I can set the language to English UK, but have the US layout where the dollar sign is in the main symbol layout? SwiftKey does this, but not Swype or Google. At least I cannot figure out how.

I don't know kii keyboard. But people rave about it and its customization. Maybe that can handle it??

I don't know kii keyboard. But people rave about it and its customization. Maybe that can handle it??

I've tried Kii, but didn't like it. At least the beta version used didn't have gesture typing. I like the gesture typing in Swype and Google because it allows for one handed use more easily.

Sounds like you should contact the developer about adding an English Canada option. Some developers are pretty responsive, so maybe Swype will add it (Google seems like it might take them a while to get to requests).

I found a more or less satisfactory solution. I have to set the keyboard to English US to get the dollar sign. Then I have to select both English US and English UK as the languages. It will now accept the Canadian English spellings which is the same as the UK spelling. However, it doesn't auto correct the English US spelling to English UK.

Back