• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Swype capitalization gesture not working

UncleMike

Android Expert
Nov 15, 2009
Central NJ
After a recent update to Swype keyboard, the capitalization gesture (swipe from the letter to be capitalized above the keyboard, then back to the keyboard to continue the word) isn't working. This is happening on both my Galaxy Tab S2 and Galaxy S7, both of which are relatively new devices for me, though the gesture did work on both devices until recently.

Is this happening to others?

Last edited:
After a recent update to Swype keyboard, the capitalization gesture (swipe from the letter to be capitalized above the keyboard, then back to the keyboard to continue the word) isn't working. This is happening on both my Galaxy Tab S2 and Galaxy S7, both of which are relatively new devices for me, though the gesture did work on both devices until recently.

Yes. Capitalization isn't working for any word. They first word in a sentence is capitalized but swyping above the keyboard does nothing. Swype+Dragon 3.0.2.3

Reactions: f1rebreather
Upvote 0
I contacted Nuance about this as it wasn't working and their response was

"For swiping up to capitalize letters, we understand that this feature is very essential to our users. We apologize if we're unable to provide you with an immediate resolution but no worries, we have reported this issue to our developers and they are now doing their best to resolve this or bring back the feature."

That was on February 20th but they haven't rushed to fix it. I also complained that Swype is nowhere near as reliable as it used to be. If I Swype 10 words, 3 or 4 will be wrong. I don't know what they've done but they need to undo it!

I'm trying the Google keyboard and Swiftkey but they are not as good as Swype used to be. I really miss the upwards swype to capitalise.

Upvote 0

Yep, same issue on my Moto X.

Upvote 0
I contacted Nuance about this as it wasn't working and their response was

"For swiping up to capitalize letters, we understand that this feature is very essential to our users. We apologize if we're unable to provide you with an immediate resolution but no worries, we have reported this issue to our developers and they are now doing their best to resolve this or bring back the feature."

That was on February 20th but they haven't rushed to fix it. I also complained that Swype is nowhere near as reliable as it used to be. If I Swype 10 words, 3 or 4 will be wrong. I don't know what they've done but they need to undo it!

I'm trying the Google keyboard and Swiftkey but they are not as good as Swype used to be. I really miss the upwards swype to capitalise.
Same problem. Really annoying. What options do we have?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones