• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Swype dictionary sync not working

UncleMike

Android Expert
Nov 15, 2009
Central NJ
I recently discovered that dictionary sync across devices hasn't been working. In an attempt to fix things I have removed Swype from all devices and reinstalled, deleted my Swype Connect account and recreated it - none of which has helped. I fact, at times the sync option has completely disappeared from the app.

Anyone else having sync issues, or have a solution?

Swype support told me to turn off sync on both devices for several minutes, then turn on sync on one device, wait several minutes more, then turn on sync on the second device. I added one word to the dictionary of the first device, and waited. Over an hour later I checked the second device and the single word had synced. I subsequently added 5 more words, which have not appeared on the second device after several hours.

But get this... their support told me it can take 24-48 hours for sync to take place. WTF?!

Upvote 0
I have the paid version Uncle Mike, and after the last update on the keyboard the same thing happened to me. I contacted the Swype forums and they said the same thing about the 24-48 hours wait, which pissed me off so I went back to using Touchpal. A few weeks later I tried it again and the cloud service worked the way that it was supposed to that time. The only suggestion I can give you is to install it and use another keyboard for a few days until it kicks in. I know that's not how it is supposed to work, but there's not whole lot that we can do other than complain, lol. In the meantime, I suggest you try either Swiftkey or Touchpal, BOTH of their cloud sync features work the way they should. Here is a link to the Forum just in case you want to check it out while you wait.

http://forum.swype.com/

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
Thanks. I've removed Swype from both of my devices and have gone back to Google keyboard. There are some things I'll miss - like being able to invoke a number pad, capitalize words on the fly by swiping up, and getting word predictions everywhere (Google Keyboard refuses to provide them in certain fields), but after having Swype run my battery down to 4% in 6 hours today, and use over 200MB of data in the past week while being unable to sync a dictionary of 6 words, I give up.

It was once a great product, but has gone down hill since being acquired by Nuance, and is definitely not worth the hassle.

Upvote 0
I have deleted the data of the app ("clear data" of Android details of the Swype application)
Then, as soon as you want to use Swype the registration process starts automatically : go through it entirely.

Then, after ticking the use dictionary box, you have to type the identification code so that the sync process can start with your email backups.

Once done, wait a few seconds, and go to "my words" : you should see the recovery of your whole dictionary !

Upvote 0
Official documentation :

Dictionary Sync
• If using a brand new device without Swype previously installed skip step below
• To demo Backup & Sync on a device with Swype previously installed, you must clear the user dictionary
• Go to “Android Settings”, “Applications”, “Swype”, and select “Clear Data”
• Open messaging application; walk through the Swype registration process with your device email
• Once activation is complete, go into “Swype Settings,” select “My Words,” and then select “Edit My Dictionary” and you will see that your dictionary has been completely restored

NB : this works the same if you have multiple devices

Reactions: MJ5150 and hiredgun
Upvote 0
I've run into the same prob and gave up, and just used the trial, which had my words. Today the trial expired. F me. I'd already purchased the full versiona year ago when I first slammed into this prob but, no, it STILL wouldn't sync.

This is what I did, after I stopped banging my head on the wall and cussing like a sailor. I'm not sure which part worked but I'm synced now.

Turned the phone on and off. Uninstalled and reinstalled both swype versions. Went into my device (phone) settings, then to language settings. Chose both versions of swype but no other keyboards. Entered settings on trial swype while still in language settings. Entered email etc and synced. Then did same for paid version. Both dictionaries emptied. Wth?! Lost EVERYTHING. F me again.

Five minutes later everything was synced on both versions. Scared as heck I, then, sure it was the most bone headed move ever, disabled the trial. Holy moly, the paid version had my words!

Hope this helps someone. I've been struggling with this swype mess for over a year now.

Upvote 0
Official documentation :

Dictionary Sync
• If using a brand new device without Swype previously installed skip step below
• To demo Backup & Sync on a device with Swype previously installed, you must clear the user dictionary
• Go to “Android Settings”, “Applications”, “Swype”, and select “Clear Data”
• Open messaging application; walk through the Swype registration process with your device email
• Once activation is complete, go into “Swype Settings,” select “My Words,” and then select “Edit My Dictionary” and you will see that your dictionary has been completely restored

NB : this works the same if you have multiple devices

This worked for me when I went from one device to a new one.
The only thing different I did was to choose the Sype + Dragon keyboard from Language & Input before going into my messaging app. That kicked off the registration process for me on my Turbo 2 running Android 6.0.1.
Oh the joys of transferring everything to a new phone.
This was just a warranty replacement.

-Mike

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones