• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Swype vs. SwiftKey

SwiftKey Flow now rivals Swype, AND continues to make use of SwiftKey's stellar predictive text engine. While SwifKey is not without bugs, the company still seems to be innovating, whereas Swype has grown arrogant, stagnant, and virtually deaf to user feedback.

For example, after months of complaints by countless users, Swype still fails to obey one of its own central settings, namely automatic word spacing. Instead, despite the setting, it runs words together when entering text in ordinary text fields. SwiftKey does not have this problem.

A Swype bug which users have also complained about for months often causes Swype to type ".com" instead of a comma when swiping the comma button.

Swype fails to utilize Android's native user dictionary, so that if you delete Sype or change versions, let alone switch keyboards, you do not get the benefit of the words you've painstakingly added. And pathetically, Swype doesn't even allow dictionary sharing across native Swype and Swype beta.

And at least on my Verizon Galaxy SIII, Swype beta sits alongside newly native Swype, apparently interfering, because it often hangs, freezes, or crashes, requiring removal of the battery just to reboot the phone.

A company as deaf as Swype (Nuance) to user feedback should be stripped of support until it gets the message. One has to wonder why they even waste users' time luring them to contribute feedback and ideas to their forums.

SwiftKey Flow now rivals Swype, AND continues to make use of SwiftKey's stellar predictive text engine. While SwifKey is not without bugs, the company still seems to be innovating, whereas Swype has grown arrogant, stagnant, and virtually deaf to user feedback.

I agree completely with what you say here. I was so excited to see the SK flow beta announcement just a day or two after swype left users hanging for weeks when their update crashed with Jelly Bean users.

I have given swiftkey flow months of beta use and for about a week post its release in sk4. I find it interesting and good. But I find it not as accurate at swiping as swype. As for the infamous swiftkey next word prediction, two things:
1) swype's word prediction is not significantly worse
2) if I am using flow to swipe a word, I don't use the sk word prediction because if I am flowing why not spend the .1 seconds just finishing flowing the word?

I have been a long time user of swype. I have spent months using swiftkey flow (starting the day the beta launched). I have tried briefly Android 4.2 gesture keyboard, Touchpal, SlideIT and Kii. Overall, I have found that swype is simply personally better for me and my style of inputting. Perhaps it is because I have used swype longer (going back to my Nokia 5800 days). But the fact remains, when I type/swipe quickly, swype is personally better for me.

Upvote 0
Curious if SKF swipes in more fields now that it's off beta. I tried beta for a while and wouldn't swipe in many "normal" fields (like replying to a post like this). Now that I've tried Kii for a few weeks, I just can't see anything being better. If SKF now flows in all fields, I'll give it another shot. I also recall not liking it's dictionary (lack of editing).

Upvote 0
Curious if SKF swipes in more fields now that it's off beta. I tried beta for a while and wouldn't swipe in many "normal" fields (like replying to a post like this). Now that I've tried Kii for a few weeks, I just can't see anything being better. If SKF now flows in all fields, I'll give it another shot. I also recall not liking it's dictionary (lack of editing).

They added fields in one of the beta updates. Not sure if you were before or after that.

Upvote 0
Has anyone used both Jellybean's swipe keyboard and SwiftKey Flow extensively enough to give pros and cons of each. I've mostly been sticking with Jellybean's default keyboard. I tried SKF for a day, but switched back mostly because of cosmetic reasons - the Jellybean keyboard's appearance just looked more polished to me and I liked the trail left behind in Jellybean's keyboard better than SKF's trail.

Upvote 0
SwiftKey is much better now that it's out of beta. I used android for about 2 weeks and liked it better than Swype and Swift. But after I tried Kii, I liked it better than all 3. Now I'm trying Swift again, and I'll probably go back to Kii soon, mainly because of ability to make your own theme starting with almost any theme at the play store, adding any background from your gallery, changing text colors, key sizes, and more..... SKF is working very well, so I need to give it a few days.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones