• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Texting on the Magic??

sleemie

Jun 17, 2009
I've been waiting and waiting and waiting to make the commitment to buy a touchscreen phone. I THOUGHT it was gonna be the Pre, but the keyboard is too tiny, and the screen is also a bit small for my taste. Nothing else has really grabbed me. So, now the Mytouch is the next one on my list, but I've heard a lot of people say that they can't text very fast or easily on a touchscreen phone. I send probably close to 100 texts a day, so quick and easy texting is very important to me.

So, the question is how do you guys find the texting on the Magic since they're basically the same phone?

I've been waiting and waiting and waiting to make the commitment to buy a touchscreen phone. I THOUGHT it was gonna be the Pre, but the keyboard is too tiny, and the screen is also a bit small for my taste. Nothing else has really grabbed me. So, now the Mytouch is the next one on my list, but I've heard a lot of people say that they can't text very fast or easily on a touchscreen phone. I send probably close to 100 texts a day, so quick and easy texting is very important to me.

So, the question is how do you guys find the texting on the Magic since they're basically the same phone?

It can actually be pretty quick if you turn on prediction and auto-correction.

Upvote 0
I've never actually had a phone with a qwerty keyboard so I can't really compare but I have the magic and I don't really have any complaints about the keyboard. The prediction is pretty good and the keys are big enough. I can text fast enough with it and I text quite a lot. Having the haptic feedback on slows it down every once in a while though which is a bit of a bummer. It isn't too bad though.

Upvote 0
I got an I/O 09 developer phone (magic with pretty branding on the back), and I'd say for everything EXCEPT entering text, I love it. However, being presented with this phone and my previous phone (LG Voyager, I think it is) with a full, physical QWERTY keyboard, I can't stand texting on the magic.

I think for those accustomed to on-screen keyboards, the Magic will probably feel like a pretty good option. The landscape view does offer large keys, auto-correction and suggestions work fairly well for every-day words.

For those who are happy with large physical keyboards on their phones, and like blazing-fast texting, I would honestly have to just recommend buying the G1. I've had to seriously consider selling my Magic and downgrading to get the keyboard (and am still wrestling with it, but I'm caught up on that pretty I/O 09 branding)

Upvote 0
Well, I'm not used to using a physical QWERTY keyboard, but I am very used to using a physical old fashioned key pad with the T9 and I very comfortable with that and I can go pretty quickly and I'm able to do it one handed, so I hate to really take a step backwards in terms of ease and speed with texting.

I'm thinking I might just hold out for the Touch Pro 2 and hope that all the complaints about WinMo are unfounded, or at least resolved with 6.1 and 6.5. This is strictly a fun phone for me so I don't need all the business related stuff the Touch Pro 2 has, but for the looks and physical keyboard and the features it looks like it might be the best option for a keyboard phone since there's no other good Android phone with a keyboard on the horizon. The screen is too small on the lancaster, and the pics of the morrison and bigfoot are butt ugly, although we don't know what the final color scheme will be. Even though, there's no telling when they're even gonna be released. I've been waiting since like January when I first heard about the Pre to get a touchscreen phone and I'm tired of waiting, but nothing on the market has grabbed me enough yet. I think the ideal phone would be the Touch Pro 2 with Android, and although it MAY happen down the road, I can't wait that long.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones