• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The Best Android Phones

The Optimus S was really a great choice back before Sprint implemented their new $10/month smartphone adder (on 1/30/11). Back in January, I wrote a hands-on review comparing it to the Samsung Transform. I bought 4 Optimus S's for me and my family a few hours before the $10 smartphone adder deadline so that we'd be grandfathered in on the lower monthly pricing. To me, it wasn't worth extra ($10/month x 4 phones=) $40/month for 4G service. But if I had to buy a phone on Sprint now (and I had to pay the $10/months smartphone adder fee), I'd spend a bit more money and get one of the more powerful, flash-capable, video-conferencing-capable 4G phones.

Upvote 0
It's not a piece of crap. It's a surprisingly solid, usable phone... for all the reasons mentioned in this thread and pretty much every review that's been done on the phone.

People say you shouldn't ever apologize. I think you should apologize when you do something stupid... or, even better, don't do stupid stuff. So your apology has been accepted.

Upvote 0
I’m sure the Optimus has several inadequacies when compared to established powerhouse phones, but for someone like me, being lured from a state-of-the-art (2002) Samsung i500 to the wonders of Android with a free phone, I’d say they have hit their target -- namely, to release an irresistable introduction to the bleeding edge.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones