• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root "The device has either stopped responding or has been disconnected"

PolarBlue

After flashing from LMY48Z 5.1.1 to MMB29K 6.0.1, I had a couple issues. I fixed the issue where it said I had half the GB available on the phone than I should have I think (now it says I have 54.65GB on a 64GB phone...hope this is as it should be). The other issue is when I go to copy a file from my PC to the phone through a USB connection.

I'm getting an error saying "Cannot copy item. The device has either stopped responding or has been disconnected". I've tried a few things. Enabling USB debugging, different USB cables, uninstalling and reinstalling USB drivers, multiple file types, and I still get the message. Also when I check the phone from the PC it says the folder is empty when it used to show folders where pics are located.

I'm pretty sure it's not a PC issue since I can still transfer files to my old Windows phone. The only way I can currently transfer them to the N6 is through a cloud service or an SD card reader. I could do it on the 5.1.1 build so I could possibly be missing something after flashing the factory images?

These are the images I flashed after unzipping the file from google:

boot.img
bootloaderz.img (what I renamed bootloader)
cache.img
radio.img
recovery.img
system.img

I did accidentally flash the 'boot' img twice. Not sure if this would cause problems or not.

When your phone is connected to the PC, there should be a notification in your notification pull down that will let you change to MTP mode. Enable that and then try to copy.

On a sidenote, have you used the portal app to transfer files from PC to phone? Pretty fast/easy when your PC and phone are on the same LAN. The only time I connect my phone to the PC now is for fastboot flashing :)

When your phone is connected to the PC, there should be a notification in your notification pull down that will let you change to MTP mode. Enable that and then try to copy.

On a sidenote, have you used the portal app to transfer files from PC to phone? Pretty fast/easy when your PC and phone are on the same LAN. The only time I connect my phone to the PC now is for fastboot flashing :)
Thanks! That was easy enough. I didn't have to do that before updating but all's well now. I'll download portal and give that a try too.

That changed with 6.x. Default mode now is charge only. Another one fo those things Google thinks we should "just know". :confused:
Really...

I thought I screwed something up and was getting ready to flash again. Glad I asked first. The original MTP options aren't where they used to be under storage.

Nope, they only show up when you plug it in. And, at least for me, the setting isn't remembered between sessions.

And, at least for me, the setting isn't remembered between sessions.
Yeah - that's the case for me too. And I think it makes sense - unless the user enables that setting intentionally, a computer cannot access the phone's storage (think about somebody using a USB port at an airport for example, that may have a micro computer sitting behind it trying to access storage for any device connected to it).

Two things Google could have done to make it 'better'
  1. Have a notification pop-up (when phone is connected to USB) telling the user about this 'feature
  2. If possible, let user "trust" a USB port (home computer for example) so it defaults to MTP at that location

Back
Top Bottom