• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Things you dont like about the gn2.

animal47

I am going to be the exception as it seems everyone is in love with their gn2 however mine is starting to really annoy me after only 24hrs of ownership.
The stock music player is rubbish in that it doesnt allow any commands from the lock screen meaning that you have to either open the phone every time to change tracks or use the rubbish headphones that it comes with as it has a volume rocker track+ etc on it. I d/l mixzing to use as that allows controls from the lock screen however that is causing it's own problems as the home and power buttons are so sensitive that they regularly get pressed in my pocket and then tracks either get changed or paused etc by the lock screen music player commands rubbing against my leg, the volume rocker is also getting regularly altered in my pocket as well.
Then there is the power button position that means every time i try and turn the screen off one handed i also end up adjusting the ringer volume accidently on the other side.
I dont like the stock browser and every time i open a new page i have to open settings to tick the full desktop view, why cant it just allow you to have it set up for full website view as a default setting, also google keeps freezing on the stock browser and pops up a little message all the time telling me that it stopped, like i couldnt tell that already by the lack of function lol. Lots of video streaming doesnt work properly and just plays blurred distorted images although the sound is fine, i have installed flash so not sure if it is something to do with this or not. If anyone could recommend a better browser i would be grateful, have tried dolphin but dont like that at all.
My battery life has been far from remarkable although that cant be being helped by my screen being activated in my pocket all the time.
I still cant work out how to get the screen to stay on whilst on a call and after a 5 minute call earlier couldnt end the call as my screen was blank so had to wait until the other person ended it.
I never thought i would say it but i am really missing my DHD and htc sense in general.

I think you need to either return your device and get another one, or go back to your htc phone. These problems you cited will probably start to annoy your more. (And it also sounds like your device may have a defect.)

I dont like the fact that on the note JellyBean introduced 5 columns of apps and 5 rows. On the note 2 its back to 4 columns and 4 rows!

Also screen res is lower than note.

Other than the fact that I'm on my second due to the camera failing and a horizontal line appearing, its super fast, very smooth and lovin it

I'm not sure what to do at the moment as I remember that the DHD was annoying when I first swapped over to it from an iphone but it wasnt long before I loved it so am hoping this gn2 grows on me.
I dont think it has any faults that it could be returned over and the google freezing could be just a glitch with flash or something that I could have actually caused.
I think a decent case may restrict the buttons slightly and help with it getting turned on in my pocket and a decent pair of headphones with volume rocker etc would do away with the need for any lock screen adjustment, there must be plenty of sets around by now designed for the s3 which I assume would be exactly the same. I have been waiting so long for this phone to get released that I refuse to give up with it without giving it my best shot.

Well i cant think of anything at the moment, was seriously p**ed at not been able to use iplayer to watch my f1 live when at work but found a great program for live tv streamed... tvcatchup on marketplace. its ace. now im happy bunny again. but the iplayer not supported thing, is not a note 2 thing. guess in time they will rewrite to support anyway lol.

As for a music player with controls, I suggest giving PowerAmp a try. There is a free trial available. It is by far the best music player I have used for Android.

I don't have the phone yet, buy with my RAZR MAXX, Google Music player has lock screen controls. It is a very flexible player and has a fun landscape interface.

For the browser, try Chrome, you can stack multiple windows and it runs smooth on my 2 core device.

I have heard about pin hole proximity sectors getting clogged with lint or cases that cover the proximity sensor not allowing screens to display while the phone is on. If you can't fix this issue, get a replacement device. This is not normal behavior for these devices. Good luck.

I don't like the fact that it hasn't been released yet, in the US. Other than that, I'm hoping that sometime/somehow they can figure out how to make the physical dimensions smaller while keeping the screen size. I also wish the CDMA providers would just make the top phones, world phones with unlocked/removable SIM cards. I don't like that information has been so ambiguous about the higher internal storage versions that will be available in the large US market. Lastly, I hate that the excuse for not putting on the 13mp camera is just due to lens shortage. Hogwash... Samsung is a profitable company. They could've paid to have more lenses created ASAP. IMO, they just wanted to rush the note 2 through to production in the hopes of not allowing too much time from when the iPhone 5 was released, so they could hopefully steer those that hadn't purchased in their direction.

Other than that, I also don't like how Samsung's OEM accessories are. I hate the fact that they went with a universal car dock. Hate that one of they're big on dlna, when most people don't have dlna tv's.

animal47 said:
the home and power buttons are so sensitive that they regularly get pressed in my pocket
If buttons are getting pressed in your pocket, then you should think about getting a case/holster combo. The case will keep the volume and power buttons from being pushed, and the holster will keep the screen and home button from getting touched. You can put the holster right into your pocket and clip it on.

They also make holsters without a clip so you can slide the whole thing into your pocket while keeping the buttons and screen protected.

animal47 said:
I dont like the stock browser and every time i open a new page i have to open settings to tick the full desktop view, why cant it just allow you to have it set up for full website view as a default setting
Dolphin browser allows you to do this. I don't know what you didn't like about Dolphin, but it has tons of settings that allow you to set it up how you like.

Also, I've been using another browser called Boat Browser which also allows you to have desktop as the default, but it is a lil faster than Dolphin and more lighter on resources than Dolphin.

animal47 said:
Lots of video streaming doesnt work properly and just plays blurred distorted images
The quality of video won't have anything to do with Flash player, but instead your internet connection. If you know you have a strong and fast internet connection, try clicking on the "HD" button in YouTube or whatever site you're viewing.

animal47 said:
I still cant work out how to get the screen to stay on whilst on a call and after a 5 minute call earlier couldnt end the call as my screen was blank
The screen won't stay on during a call. It does this so that your face doesn't press buttons on the screen while talking on the phone.

However, all modern touch-screen phones have a proximity sensor that turns the screen off when the phone is close to your face while on a phone call, and will turn the screen back on when you pull the phone away. If your phone isn't doing this, then you might have a faulty proximity sensor.

The proximity sensor only works during phone calls.

Well the more i use this thing the more i am loving it :D
Battery life is amazing and seems to be getting even better, it had some heavy usage the other night and in 12 hours off of charge the screen was on a total of 9 hrs which was mostly watching movies and an hour of hd iplayer streaming and a bit of browsing and yet still had 34% battery remaining.

Is the screen turning on in your pocket really an issue? I would think that sort of problem has been solved by now. I'm am pretty much set on the Note 2, but I am not big on putting cases on my phones. I had enough of that with after having to treat my iPhone as if it were the fragile trinket it was. My OG Droid and Droid 3 have gone naked save for a screen protector just to be sure no superficial scratches occur.

Regarding a lock screen music player, I have both Power Amp and WinAmp, with the latter being my default player. I haven't used Power Amp in some time, though it probably has the nicer-looking UI. Both players have lockscreen controls that can be enabled and are gapless players. WinAmp has the advantage of wireless syncing with WinAmp on your PC if you use it. It makes putting your music on your phone (or any phone that has it installed) very easy. WinAmp also seems to have better navigation, pushing the back-button isn't going to kick you out of the application the way it does on PowerAmp.

The screen turning on in my pocket definately was an issue as with lockscreen adjustment enabled in mixzing it was constantly skipping and pausing tracks, the volume rocker was also being adjusted all the time.
I now have zero problems since fitting a case which prevents the rocker from being altered as easily and a screen saver which just adds another layer and stops the home button standing quite so proud.

The screen turning on in my pocket definately was an issue as with lockscreen adjustment enabled in mixzing it was constantly skipping and pausing tracks, the volume rocker was also being adjusted all the time.
I now have zero problems since fitting a case which prevents the rocker from being altered as easily and a screen saver which just adds another layer and stops the home button standing quite so proud.

Hmm, I just wonder why we haven't seen more of this complaint from others.. or if it's because they all use cases as well. I suppose I should at least case-shop for a minimal, non-invasive one. My housemate has a GSIII as of 2 weeks now with no case and hasn't complained of that yet.. but it might be too soon. He did drop it on day 2 and cracked the screen, so a cover is going to be mandatory for him.

It makes sense though. The buttons ARE easy to push, which after the frustrating buttons on the Droid 3, is desirable. If it means putting on a thin case just prevent pocket triggering while adding a little extra protection to it, so be it. I just hate hiding my phones under those things or having any of the controls covered up with rubber.

Well the more i use this thing the more i am loving it :D
Battery life is amazing and seems to be getting even better, it had some heavy usage the other night and in 12 hours off of charge the screen was on a total of 9 hrs which was mostly watching movies and an hour of hd iplayer streaming and a bit of browsing and yet still had 34% battery remaining.

You went from being unhappy to happy in a week....Congrats!!! Glad you're finally enjoying your Note 2.

Absolutely can't wait to get it and nothing would change that.

BUT, if I could modify anything it would be the hardware. I wish it looked more squared off like the note 1 instead of the S3 look. Not a fan.

I also wish it had some kind of matte black aluminum shell. I am no iphone fan but a note 2 in a smooth deep black aluminum case would be sweet. I don't care about the weight either!

Absolutely can't wait to get it and nothing would change that.

BUT, if I could modify anything it would be the hardware. I wish it looked more squared off like the note 1 instead of the S3 look. Not a fan.

I also wish it had some kind of matte black aluminum shell. I am no iphone fan but a note 2 in a smooth deep black aluminum case would be sweet. I don't care about the weight either!

Really? I think it would take away from the ergonomics of having a better feel in the hand (like the reviews have been saying) if they stuck with the squared off design.

As for the matte black...I'd be down for that or even a matte blue (I actually like the blue that was offered on the SGS 3). I wouldn't doubt there being replacement covers being offered after a couple months of the phone being available worldwide.

Really? I think it would take away from the ergonomics of having a better feel in the hand (like the reviews have been saying) if they stuck with the squared off design.

As for the matte black...I'd be down for that or even a matte blue (I actually like the blue that was offered on the SGS 3). I wouldn't doubt there being replacement covers being offered after a couple months of the phone being available worldwide.

I know what you mean about the ergonomics. Only reason I would be ok with a more tablet look and size is I'm 6'5" and my hands are huge :D

I would love for the screen to be 6"!!!

I know what you mean about the ergonomics. Only reason I would be ok with a more tablet look and size is I'm 6'5" and my hands are huge :D

I would love for the screen to be 6"!!!

Hahaha...That totally makes sense. I'm on the other end of the spectrum (almost a foot shorter than you) and my hands aren't necessarily small, but obviously not huge either.

I really like the colour of the titanium grey one tbh, the white is nice but I have had lots of white gadgets lately. The grey is more than just grey, its like a brushed aluminium which looks more like a silvery grey on the back, very nice.

I really like the colour of the titanium grey one tbh, the white is nice but I have had lots of white gadgets lately. The grey is more than just grey, its like a brushed aluminium which looks more like a silvery grey on the back, very nice.

I was pretty much set on the white, but part of me wants to see the grey in person before deciding. I liked the Pebble Blue a lot, on the SGS 3, but I also felt it looked much better on pictures than in person. Part of me feels like it'll be the reverse with the Grey. I'll like it much better in person, than looking at it on videos and pictures.

Back
Top Bottom