• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Unknown Carrier] Bypass Initial Activation Screen

SeanC322

For Monstro's ZV6 ROM, is it possible to bypass the activation screen. I don't have a SIM card and want to use it as a wifi only device. I tried going through the activation process, but it wouldn't fail and just let me use the phone. Thank you for any replies!

It's not possible to bypass it. When you go through all that, make sure WiFi is set up, and the location options checked or unchecked. Once you're in the home screen, get to Settings and turn on Airplane mode. This will turn off WiFi. After that, turn on WiFi only by itself. With the device in Airplane mode, the cell phone radio is effectively kept off. Doing so will prevent any prompts from VM coming in, asking you to activate the phone.

If you want to add your Google account to the phone, make sure what I said above is done first. It's easier to add your account outside of VM activation.

Oh OK. Thanks for responding. I got this device really cheap but it doesn't have SIM and I didn't pay for service, so it can't really be activated. I wanted a fast minimal ROM to use the phone with to play games (I don't call using the phone). Are there any non-stock ROMs I could do this with?

BTW, I tried CM12 and found it too buggy and battery draining for my purposes...

For anyone else having this problem. At the activation screen, select Accessibility Options and select to get TalkBack through the Play Store. Search for and download f(x) file browser and its root add-on. Open it and search in the "System (Root)" folder for setup and delete anything that seems related to activation setup. Also delete a lot of the LG apps in the /system/app folder. It worked for me...

Last edited:
removing lg apps will cause alot of problems, if yourre running my rom you wont find anything but the folder under carrier

Yeah...thanks for your responses. I found that using the other ZV6 minimal ROM here let me purposely fail the activation and use the phone without activating. After bypassing the initial activation screen, I removed qcrilmsgtunnel.apk to stop anymore requests for Hands-Free activation by Sprint.

The problem is that when I installed your ROM, it wouldn't let me get past the activation screen at all. I tried just going through it but it got stuck on the "Configuring your device" screen. If you could find a way to let me use this without activation I would greatly appreciate it. Your ROM seems much more streamlined and sleek than this other ROM, if it would only work.

After flashing your ROM, I really do not see anything in the carrier partition, and I can't see how anything I had before flashing the ROM would have any impact on the ROM. I always do a full device wipe before flashing a new ROM.

The funny thing is, the only way I got your ROM to work was when dirty flashing over my stock ROM, though I feel keeping this "dirty" setup would only cause me problems down the line.

when you flash any other rom your adding all the activation crap back to your phone, when you wipe it doesn't remove any of that because its one a different partition then the rom os

If you want I can make one without any Google, phone, SMS, basically just the os

Attachments

Last edited:
Thanks grandamle91. I'll test this new ROM when I have a chance. Is there a way I can wipe all of the partitions from TWRP? I want a completely clean install.

Thanks grandamle91. I'll test this new ROM when I have a chance. Is there a way I can wipe all of the partitions from TWRP? I want a completely clean install.

From TWRP, go to Wipe > Advanced Wipe, then select everything except external_sd. Back out until you reach the main menu, then go to Advanced > File Manager and go to /external_sd. Delete the .android_secure, Android and LOST.DIR directories. Once that's all done, go ahead and flash the ROM.

From TWRP, go to Wipe > Advanced Wipe, then select everything except external_sd. Back out until you reach the main menu, then go to Advanced > File Manager and go to /external_sd. Delete the .android_secure, Android and LOST.DIR directories. Once that's all done, go ahead and flash the ROM.

This is what I usually do but I feel that this still leaves most of the partitions pertaining to activation untouched.

Right now I'm trying to copy the ROM to my phone but Windows Explorer keeps freezing and crashing. Help?

You can't wipe all partition due to some contain firmware and baseband. Are you trying to copy the rom while you're in twrp

No I am trying to copy the ROM while in the other ZV6 Rooted ROM posted in this forum. I have it on MTP and have USB Debugging enabled. Before copying any files, I can view all the folders and files just fine. Once I begin copying anything (ROM or even Word document), the copying dialogue appears but no progress shows. Then when I try to use Windows Explorer to look through the phone's memory it freezes and everything closes. When I reopen it, I can't view the phone's memory without causing another crash.

EDIT: I tried to make changes to the SD card from the ROM itself with root access and SD Fix enabled. I kept getting error messages so there is something wrong with the device.

Last edited:
its because with the sd fix it causes windows to not be able to write to the sd, gotta transfer it while in twrp

I was able to fix the problem by unmounting and remounting the SD card from the ROM. Does doing this nullify the SD fix because I definitely want to keep that?

On the LG Volt Stock ZV6 rom you can delete these files from winrar extracted rom then repack as normal zip with winrar and flash. No activation crap (im virgin mobile so carrier dependent software will apply...) :

In system/app remove stk.apk and qcrilmsgtunnel.apk

In system/priv-app remove Activation.apk,ItsOnUID.apk,PrefAct.apk

In vendor/itson : everything.

Could be possible to just remove the vendor/itson contents then flash rom. i did it with all of the above.

On the LG Volt Stock ZV6 rom you can delete these files from winrar extracted rom then repack as normal zip with winrar and flash. No activation crap (im virgin mobile so carrier dependent software will apply...) :

In system/app remove stk.apk and qcrilmsgtunnel.apk

In system/priv-app remove Activation.apk,ItsOnUID.apk,PrefAct.apk

In vendor/itson : everything.

Could be possible to just remove the vendor/itson contents then flash rom. i did it with all of the above.

Could you do this for me for the ROM?

Also, when I tried to flash it it just goes all the way to "MTP enabled" or something and randomly reboots back into the TWRP home screen. I also noticed that I was not able to make changes to the SD card from within the TWRP file manager. Are these two related somehow and how can I fix this?

When I was backing up the ROM I'm currently running (ZV6 Minimal Edition), although I checked all the boxes, it seems the only partition that was backed up was the boot partition (probably because I chose to save the backup to the SD card but for some reason can write to the card). Welp, time to install all my apps all over again...

None of my roms include any of the sprint\virgin crap, my barebones rom is just a os. Sounds like your phone is screwed up. i have 4 people local that run my roms with no problems

If you deleted the itson folder under carrier you wouldn't have any problems with my rom. But if you flash anyone's elses rom it will flash all of virgin Mobile stuff back

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-02-01-06-11-42.png
    Screenshot_2016-02-01-06-11-42.png
    93.2 KB · Views: 259
Back
Top Bottom