• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Unofficial Sprint 4g Downtown New Orleans and outer lying areas

sikclown

Android Expert
Nov 21, 2009
New Orleans, LA
Just turned on 4g Antenna in my apartment near the Lower Garden District and got a decent 4g signal. I will attach my Speedtest screen shot when I get a second. Driving around and seeing how spotty the coverage is.

Update: Pretty spotty around Downtown but better in residential areas

snap20110321_113602

Reactions: BenChase7
Just turned on 4g Antenna in my apartment near the Lower Garden District and got a decent 4g signal. I will attach my Speedtest screen shot when I get a second. Driving around and seeing how spotty the coverage is.

Do you have the app Sensorly from the market? If not, download it so you can start mapping out how far the coverage extends to. Baton Rouge has 2 towers lit up currently. Once of them is in Baker, so that doesn't really do any good. lol

Upvote 0
I am sure this will get merged with my other Thread in the Carriers section but I had to get this to my fellow Evo-ites. Coverage seems to be most of Downtown, The Garden District, Some of Mid CIty and some of the West Bank but it is pretty spotty so far. My Screenshot is from Lower Garden Distract in my Apartment.

snap20110321_113602

Upvote 0
Thats definitely good news. I checked Clears site and there are a few areas in Louisiana with *unofficial* 4G coverage including Lake Charles, BR, NO, Lafayette, Alexandria, Natchitoches, and Monroe... Hopefully they'll bring it here to Shreveport soon so I can really use my Epic to its full potential.

Upvote 0
there's no 4G in Lafayette. I live in Lafayette and yeah you get a signal when you turn on the 4G but you would get the signal whether there's 4G coverage or not.
I sent a complaint to the State Attorney General's office not to long ago about how we're paying for 4G but not receiving the service. A law firm contacted me concerning a class action which is under way.

Thats definitely good news. I checked Clears site and there are a few areas in Louisiana with *unofficial* 4G coverage including Lake Charles, BR, NO, Lafayette, Alexandria, Natchitoches, and Monroe... Hopefully they'll bring it here to Shreveport soon so I can really use my Epic to its full potential.

Upvote 0
there's no 4G in Lafayette. I live in Lafayette and yeah you get a signal when you turn on the 4G but you would get the signal whether there's 4G coverage or not.
I sent a complaint to the State Attorney General's office not to long ago about how we're paying for 4G but not receiving the service. A law firm contacted me concerning a class action which is under way.

Can't speak to whether 4g is available in Lafayette or not but you are incorrect.... You will absolutely NOT get a signal if there is no 4g coverage available. It will scan but it will not have anything to connect to. As far as the class action suit... well good luck with that. I am pretty sure a judge would throw that right out of court. Sprint has said a billion times that the 10$ charge is not for 4g access. It is a premium charge for data because in their minds these phones use more of it and there is plenty of evidence to support that.

Upvote 0
Rufrideralec who is heading up the lawsuit. I would want to be involved in it and hopefully be refunded the 10 bucks that I don’t think we should be paying. Sikclown, by what my salesman told me, we are paying 10 bucks more because the 4g phone uses more bandwidth because it’s a 4g phone. But how is a 4g phone downloading more data in one hour than a 3g phone when both are using a 3g service and the same Android system? I could be downloading more youtube videos in one hour on a 4g phone using a 4g towers than a 3g phone using a 3g towers because I can download at a faster speed BUT I’m not because I’m using a 4g phone on 3g towers. I’m downloading at the same bandwith as a 3g phone because I only have 3g service.

Upvote 0
Is Louisiana really just this low on the totem pole? Why do we always get the a$$ end of the stick? I was just looking at Sprint coverage maps of Louisiana today 9/2/2011, and I see absolute ZILCH reported for 4G service for the entire state of LA, yet tons of 4G phones are marketed here on TV daily as well as online.

Does anyone have any clue at all when 4G will be made a priority in LA and when we can see it used widespread? I mean, thanks to the O.P. above we know downtown NO is stepping up with it (some months back), but where is it on the coverage maps? Why so slow? Why does everyone else get it before us ALLLLLLLL the TIME? I still can't even get reliable 3G service where I am most of the time and I was considering an HTC EVO 4G, but whats the point if Sprint 4G isn't gonna be available for another 2 - 3 years or more??? Verizon claims to be starting their 4G LTE service this month in most big cities of LA.... so what gives SPRINT? ANYBODY?????

Upvote 0
i almost got a Photon 4G as I'm tired of waiting for a dual core LTE phone on Verizon to replace my Droid , the Bionic will be released this week, Sept 8th 2011 - but the price is $299 , and i need to buy one for myself and my wife , that's $600.

The Photon is $99 at Best Buy and Radio Shack - nearly the same phone as the Bionic , the OMAP4430 on the Bionic slightly more advanced than the Tegra2 on the Photon, both have 1GB of RAM which should get thru Ice Cream Sandwich upgrades nicely.

So basically the phones are near the same where a huge difference is that the Photon is 1/3 the price of the Bionic.

The carrier differences - Sprint a bit less maybe $20 less per month total (counting the $10 premium smart phone fee) than a comparable VZW plan but in the NOLA area including N Shore, LTE is active where can't say the same for Sprint's Wimax (no matter that LTE is a bit faster, either are plenty fast enough).

Though I'd like LTE right now with the Bionic is it worth $600 for 2 phones and $20x12 = $240 more yearly in fees? (over 2 yrs that's an extra $480 in fees, plus $400 extra for 2 Bionics over 2 Photons - total of $880 more in 2 yrs for the phone and monthly fees for 2 years of the Bionic over the Photon)

I hope Sprint adds Wimax in NOLA (all over the metro area) soon but for $800 for two phones over 2 years i can live with the 3g speeds - just so Sprint's 3g is similar to what I get with my Droid on VZW - around 800 kbps avg down - which is fine for web browsing, email, etc, even streaming Netflix.

Anyway - hope to find a Photon in stock this week , forget the Bionic, wish i would have went to the Photon a few weeks ago - well at least it is $99 now.

If anyone can tell me that they get at least 700 kbps or so down with Sprint with an Evo , Evo 3D or even Photon - please let me know.

Switching to Sprint and living with 3g i can do, but if the 3g is really slow, I will then only regret leaving VZW and losing my unlimited data with them - but really the Sprint 3G speeds have to be decent right?

Upvote 0
sikclown;[URL="tel:4043587" said:
4043587[/URL]]Just read that New Orleans will be in the Second round of Sprint LTE Cities. Not going to post a link to another forum but you can probably find it if you search.

Why not,posting relevant information via link from another site isn't prohibited here.

On the contrary,it helps keep rumors to a minimum.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones