• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Update HTC Evo 4G LTE to 4.3

jl79

Android Enthusiast
Would anyone be willing to make a guide with the easiest steps for getting the firmware & TWRP update to get current so that we can flash this ROM for us guys who are not to bright with the whole process?

Would anyone be willing to make a guide with the easiest steps for getting the firmware & TWRP update to get current so that we can flash this ROM for us guys who are not to bright with the whole process?

Is your phone S-on or S-off?

It's been a while and I just can't remember. :o

If you're S-on, you'll want to get S-off first, then update the partitions using the PJ75IMG.zip method, or run the latest RUU.

Is your phone S-on or S-off?

It's been a while and I just can't remember. :o

If you're S-on, you'll want to get S-off first, then update the partitions using the PJ75IMG.zip method, or run the latest RUU.

I am S-OFF, and actually looking through tons of threads to gain some updated knowledge on this subject as we speak. I thought that running and RUU will re-lock and turn my the phone back to S-ON.

What method do you suggest is easier for a noob? Also wouldn't using the PJ75IMG.zip also give me the updated TWRP at the same time?

I am S-OFF, and actually looking through tons of threads to gain some updated knowledge on this subject as we speak. I thought that running and RUU will re-lock and turn my the phone back to S-ON.

What method do you suggest is easier for a noob? Also wouldn't using the PJ75IMG.zip also give me the updated TWRP at the same time?

Nope, an RUU will flash everything back to stock for that software version, but your bootloader security will remain untouched. :)

Only way to turn security flag back to S-on is to issue a command via ADB once the phone is back to completely stock.

Yup, the latest PJ75IMG will give you TWRP.

Cap'n Throwbacks thread over at XDA has a bunch of really good info, read at least the first 3 to 4 posts. Read along here for rom flashing info and all the downloads from the dev: [ROM][FIRMWARE][RECOVERY][STOCK]Sense 5, Android 4.3 update - 4.13.651.1 - xda-developers

Go to the third post under downloads.

Easiest way for you right now is to grab the PJ75IMG.zip named: 4.13.651.4 Firmware + TWRP Recovery

Rename the file to exactly PJ75IMG.zip, place that on the root of your SD card, boot to the bootloader. Follow the on screen prompt. Once it completes and asks if you want to reboot by pressing up, hold on!

Pull your SD card out, and use a card reader and remove the PJ75IMG.zip file, and place the rom package named: 4.13 651.4 Sense 5 Android 4.3 - Deodex on the SD card.

Put the SD card back in, press up to reboot, and immediately begin to hold the volume down button. It will reboot back to the bootloader (make a note if your bootloader says "Locked" or Unlocked" at the top), select recovery, go through the steps and flash the rom.
You'll need to boot the phone up normally the first time, go through the set up.

Boot back into recovery and make a nandroid backup, first order of business.

If your bootloader says "Locked" go here and follow the directions for HTCdev Unlock to unlock your bootloader: http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-lte-all-things-root/605567-ltevo-rooting-dummies-complete-guide.html

If your bootloader says "Unlocked" proceed.

Once all that is done, then you can proceed with the instructions Vin has for installing Viper 4.0.

If at any time you get any weird issues, recovery isn't working right phone just acts wonky, grab the latest RUU, and run the utility. Some folks have had issues, and the RUU fixed the little quirks. :)

Everything I've typed above is essentially in the Cap'ns thread above, so I take absolutely no credit here. I'm just a messenger passing along the info. :)

Nope, an RUU will flash everything back to stock for that software version, but your bootloader security will remain untouched. :)

Only way to turn security flag back to S-on is to issue a command via ADB once the phone is back to completely stock.

Yup, the latest PJ75IMG will give you TWRP.

Easiest way for you right now is to grab the PJ75IMG.zip from here: Dev-Host - PJ75IMG_4.13.651.4_firmware_TWRP_recovery.zip - The Ultimate Free File Hosting / File Sharing Service

Rename the file to exactly PJ75IMG.zip, place that on the root of your SD card, boot to the bootloader. Follow the on screen prompt. Once it completes and asks if you want to reboot by pressing up, hold on!

Pull your SD card out, and use a card reader and remove the PJ75IMG.zip file, and place this rom package on it: 4.13.651.4_jewel_stock_rooted_Sense5_Android4.3_deodex.zip | by Captain_Throwback for EVO LTE.

Put the SD card back in, press up to reboot, and immediately begin to hold the volume down button. It will reboot back to the bootloader (make a note if your bootloader says "Locked" or Unlocked" at the top), select recovery, go through the steps and flash the rom. Read along here for rom flashing info from the dev: [ROM][FIRMWARE][RECOVERY][STOCK] Sense 5, Android 4.3 Final Update - 4.13.651.4 - xda-developers

You'll need to boot the phone up normally the first time, go through the set up.

Boot back into recovery and make a nandroid backup, first order of business.

If your bootloader says "Locked" go here and follow the directions for HTCdev Unlock to unlock your bootloader: http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-lte-all-things-root/605567-ltevo-rooting-dummies-complete-guide.html

If your bootloader says "Unlocked" proceed.

Once all that is done, then you can proceed with the instructions Vin has for installing Viper 4.0.

If at any time you get any weird issues, recovery isn't working right phone just acts wonky, grab the latest RUU, and run the utility. Some folks have had issues, and the RUU fixed the little quirks. :)

Cap'n Throwbacks thread over at XDA has a bunch of really good info, read at least the first 3 to 4 posts: [ROM][FIRMWARE][RECOVERY][STOCK] Sense 5, Android 4.3 Final Update - 4.13.651.4 - xda-developers

Everything I've typed above is essentially in the Cap'ns thread above, so I take absolutely no credit here. I'm just a messenger passing along the info. :)

Awesome reply! But this will have to wait a bit since I just got a call about a family emergency.

O snap, I hope everyone is ok. :(

Yup! Thanks! My mother had to have emergency Gallbladder surgery.

Okay so back on topic...I am confused because I always thought that you lose root when you run an RUU. Is there a different RUU that doesn't cause you to lose root? I searched that Cap'n thread but couldn't find the latest RUU.

I have not even had a chance to get started with the whole process yet, but I just want to have all my ducks in a row and get everything I need downloaded.

Also what ROM in the Cap'n thread do you suggest as far as odex vs deodex to flash after updating the firmware and before flashing the latest Viper update?

You are essentially unrooted because you don't have a custom recovery, no super user permissions, and busybox utilities with all the binary stuffs isn't there. Once you go S-off it stays there regardless of RUU updates, untill you tell it to go home. :)

We're really getting in depth with the firmware update process, so I'll move the discussion over there when I get the chance. I'm out with my family right now, so I'll be a bit. The RUU can be found in the roms kernels and utilities sticky under stock shipped Roms / RUUs, link under latest title. If you can't find it, I'll post up a link later for you.

PS: sorry about your mom's medical emergency, glad she's ok. :)

Sorry about your mom, hope she's ok. :(

Here's a text picture of how things are layered or alongside one another -

ROM with apps............ << TRWP
(with or without root)... << Radio firmware
============================
Hboot bootloader
(unlocked or not)
-----------------------------------
Encrypted signature security on or off
(s-on or s-off)

I'm not sure if that helps or not, hope so. :o

Stupid bug, I can't edit that.

What it's trying to say is that you can think of TRWP (or the HTC stock recovery) plus the radio firmware as alongside the ROM.

The bootloader lives below it.

You need the bootloader unlocked to install TRWP.

You need TRWP to do most anything else.

You have s-off so life is much easier.

And none of those things care if your ROM has root access granted or not.

And an RUU replaces everything above the ----- (s-off) line with stock HTC goods.

I moved the discussion out of the Viper thread and gave you your own update thread. :)

Let us know when you're ready to proceed and if you have any questions. :)

Thanks so much guys, I am in and out at the moment but am trying to read through this stuff and decipher it as I go...Mom is still in the hospital and may need to undergo surgery again due to some complications so as soon as thin gs settle down I would like to move forward with all this updating.

Stupid bug, I can't edit that.

What it's trying to say is that you can think of TRWP (or the HTC stock recovery) plus the radio firmware as alongside the ROM.

The bootloader lives below it.

You need the bootloader unlocked to install TRWP.

You need TRWP to do most anything else.

You have s-off so life is much easier.

And none of those things care if your ROM has root access granted or not.

And an RUU replaces everything above the ----- (s-off) line with stock HTC goods.

Okay, think I understand...so if I do run the RUU I just need to unlock the bootloader again through the HTCDEV site so that I can flash TWRP so that I can flash ROMs again. Does that sound correct?

Yes, that is normally the case. We have a section in the Unrooting For Dummies guide for that if you need help: http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-lte-all-things-root/605567-ltevo-rooting-dummies-complete-guide.html

I updated via the PJ75IMG.zip method and needed to unlock my bootloader again. I ran the RUU after I updated because I thought I was experiencing weird issues (Turned out to be a bug with the version of TWRP I was using). My bootloader stayed "Unlocked". That's why I recommended you pay attention to your bootloader status after you run the update firmware package. :)

PS: I hope all turns out well with your Mom, sending good vibes and prayers your way. :)

Yes, that is normally the case. We have a section in the Unrooting For Dummies guide for that if you need help: http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-lte-all-things-root/605567-ltevo-rooting-dummies-complete-guide.html

I updated via the PJ75IMG.zip method and needed to unlock my bootloader again. I ran the RUU after I updated because I thought I was experiencing weird issues (Turned out to be a bug with the version of TWRP I was using). My bootloader stayed "Unlocked". That's why I recommended you pay attention to your bootloader status after you run the update firmware package. :)

PS: I hope all turns out well with your Mom, sending good vibes and prayers your way. :)

Okay sounds good! Thanks for the well wishes...Mom is doing much better and was able to come home today, so I am just about ready to dive into this update.

Do you think just going with the RUU from the beginning and then just unlocking the boot loader and then flashing TWRP and then the ROM would be better to eliminate possible problems with the PJ75IMG.zip?

Cap'n Throwback does recommend that route. Mine was fine using the PJ75IMG as it was my recovery that was causing issues.

It's really 6 in one, half dozen in the other. If you do go with the RUU, you don't have to mess with the SD card pulling, etc.

Make sure before you do run the update, back up both your internal memory and your SD card to your computer. The internal will get wiped, and there is always a chance the SD can get corrupted.

PS: Excellent news with your mom!! :)

Cap'n Throwback does recommend that route. Mine was fine using the PJ75IMG as it was my recovery that was causing issues.

It's really 6 in one, half dozen in the other. If you do go with the RUU, you don't have to mess with the SD card pulling, etc.

Make sure before you do run the update, back up both your internal memory and your SD card to your computer. The internal will get wiped, and there is always a chance the SD can get corrupted.

PS: Excellent news with your mom!! :)

Thanks! I think I will go the route of the RUU just to eliminate any risks. So are my steps correct?

1. Run RUU (Does this step just install only the updated firmware and the stock ROM?)
2. Unlock bootloader
3. Flash recovery (Not exactly sure the steps for this)
4. Flash stock ROM
5. Flash Viper ROM

Thanks! I think I will go the route of the RUU just to eliminate any risks. So are my steps correct?

1. Run RUU
2. Unlock bootloader
3. Flash recovery (Not exactly sure the steps for this)
4. Flash stock ROM
5. Flash Viper ROM

Close. :)

1. Run RUU.exe (This will flash the stock ROM / Firmware onto the phone)
2. Boot up the phone at least once.
3. Unlock bootloader.
4. Flash recovery via ADB / Fastboot
5. Flash Viper 4.0

You can also find instructions for flashing the recovery via fastboot in the Rooting For Dummies Thread. If you need any help there, just let us know. :)
EDIT:

Use the recovery found here: [ROM][FIRMWARE][RECOVERY][STOCK] Sense 5, Android 4.3 update - 4.13.651.1 - xda-developers. Go to the third post and click on the link named: TWRP Recovery 2.7.0.4b (fixes uncompressed backup issue)

I have to update the stickies with the new TWRP link.

Close. :)

1. Run RUU.exe (This will flash the stock ROM / Firmware onto the phone)
2. Boot up the phone at least once.
3. Unlock bootloader.
4. Flash recovery via ADB / Fastboot
5. Flash Viper 4.0

You can also find instructions for flashing the recovery via fastboot in the Rooting For Dummies Thread. If you need any help there, just let us know. :)
EDIT:

Use this recovery: recovery.img | by Captain_Throwback for EVO LTE

I have to update the stickies with the new TWRP link.

Did I miss a step in that list?

Edit:
Never mind...My mind is shot today, just noticed how you edited those steps! Thank you!

I'm at the step of flashing TWRP, what is the correct fastboot code to install this? All the file I downloaded is named "recovery" and in the instructions in the sticky it says "fastboot flash recovery openrecovery-twrp-2.4.1.0-jewel.img" do I just change it to "fastboot flash recovery.img?

Edit:
Yeah, I need to read the entire post, lol. Yes, type exactly what you typed at the end of your post. :)

When you flash it, place the recovery file in the same folder as the SDK files on your computer.

Open the command prompt from that folder.

Just check to see if your phone is connected properly and recognized: fastboot devices / press Enter key /

Should list your device.

Then to flash recovery: fastboot flash recovery " name of file.img" / press Enter key /

Where " name of file.img" is the name of the recovery file you downloaded.

Edit:
Yeah, I need to read the entire post, lol. Yes, type exactly what you typed at the end of your post. :)

When you flash it, place the recovery file in the same folder as the SDK files on your computer.

Open the command prompt from that folder.

Just check to see if your phone is connected properly and recognized: fastboot devices / press Enter key /

Should list your device.

Then to flash recovery: fastboot flash recovery " name of file.img" / press Enter key /

Where " name of file.img" is the name of the recovery file you downloaded.

Okie dokie! Thanks! Worked like a charm...I am loving the new Viper, It's like having a brand new phone!

Thanks all for the thread! Gonna give this a shot. MeanBean is has been slowly going down on my phone so it's time to start new.

If anyone is watching...I'm stuck at the boot/splash screen. All I did so far was:

Pull your SD card out, and use a card reader and remove the PJ75IMG.zip file, and place the rom package named: 4.13 651.4 Sense 5 Android 4.3 - Deodex on the SD card.

Put the SD card back in, press up to reboot, and immediately begin to hold the volume down button.
Ohh!!! I held the volume up key and got to the menu!
Ok, flashing 4.13.651.4_jewel_stock_rooted_Sense5_Android4.3_deodex.zip
Alright, running a TWRP 2.7.0.0b back up now, then gonna drop Viper on this mug!
Opps, forgot, its locked so I gotta unlock it first. :/
Ok, unlocked.

Hopefully this is all ok:
HBOOT: 2.10.0000
RADIO: 1.13.11.1105

Back
Top Bottom