• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Updating a used Milestone

Hey everyone,

I really would love some assistance. I really cannot afford to brick my phone and, since I bought it used, I'm really not comfortable with the process yet.

Here is my situation: I bought my Milestone used a while ago (last November).

I was told:
-It has been rooted
-It was running the latest firmware (Android Version 2.2.1)
-It was running some version of G.O.T.
-OpenRecovery might have been installed

I know that it was rooted correctly since I have access to the Superuser Permissions app, as well as the Milestone Overclock - and can access Applanet).

What I would love to do is to format the phone and get it running the latest CyanogenMod (which I believe is 7.1.0-RC10-11.06.14).

All the guides I've found are for phones that are either not rooted yet or assume knowledge I don't have.

Can anyone please instruct me on how I can simply upgrade the phone (preferably with backing up my texts and such) to the newer firmware?

I figure that since it is already rooted and running a custom firmware, this shouldn't be so difficult.

I would REALLY appreciate some input!

Download CM7 (the version you mention is the latest one), Androidiani open recovery (better to use this one then G.O.T.'s and ggaps for CM7 (all links on Nadlabk's page). First put copy the Openrecovery folder and the update.zip to the root of your sd card. Then put the CM7 zip file (without extracting it) and ggaps in openrecovery/updates.

Shut down your phone and hold down x button will turn the phone on until you see a picture with a triangle or something. Push the camera button and volume up simulataniously to get into a menu. there select 'apply update.zip'. In the new menu wipe data (you only need to do that the first time and it's not need to do when flashing another version of CM7, backup your apps first), dalvik-cache and cache. Next go to 'Apply update'. Choose the CM7 file. Once the process is done select the ggaps file.

That's it.

Back
Top Bottom