• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

US smartphone market study predicts a good year for Android

They say you shouldn't count your chickens before they hatch, but according to a market survey Android has laid a lot of eggs in North America. The total number of smartphone shipments will rise by 38% compared to last year for a total of 65.1 million units.

Here's the breakdown - RIM is still king of the hill with 43% estimated market share for 2010. They lose 6.2% market share but due to the increase in total smartphones shipped, they will still get a 5.8 million increase in units shipped.

gsmarena_001.jpg

Apple comes in second on the smartphne market, and similarly to BlackBerry, it's to expect a decrease in market share but a modes increase in units shipped.

BlackBerry OS, Apple OS and Android OS combined account for a total of 80% of the total smartphone market in the US (sorry, Microsoft).

Android is predicted to have an explosive growth, putting it a close third behind Apple's OS - 18.9% market share compared to last year's 9.7%. That's nearly a double.

The number of Android smartphones shipped will be 12.3 million, compared to Apple's 13.8 million. Of course, many manufacturers are offering Android phones and only Apple sells iPhone's but still - it's a commendable achievement for the OS nonetheless.

If these numbers pan out, the number of Android phones sold will be more than that of Microsoft, Palmand Symbian combined (again, this is about North America only, not the whole world). The Microsoft OS is also the only one expected to have negative growth in sales (and we can see why).

The survey also mentions the increased strain the increasing number smartphones will put on mobile networks. This will push vendors to make phones more efficient in their data usage - a field in which BlackBerry is apparently the leader.

The situation in South America is a little different - the market has declined by 11% last year, but is expected to bounce back. Symbian was the leading OS (42%) followed by RIM (28%).

We can feel the Android wave sweeping our office too. We've been on an Android diet for almost a month now, and we have a few more Android phone reviews in the pipeline as well. So the review portion of our homepage is bound to get all Androidish quite soon.

US smartphone market study predicts a good year for Android - GSMArena.com news

Great find!!! Android is expected to capture 42% of the smart phone growth this year!

Though I gotta say, I think they are heavily overestimating the Palm growth. For various reasons, I just don't see them progressing nearly as much as forecasted.

i dont get all the hype over blackberry...looks laim to me
My wife has the Curve. It's a very solid phone with a very solid OS... but it's SEVERELY lacking in customization and apps. The app market seems abysmal in size compared to Android, plus almost every decent app is paid. The customization is pretty much limited to choosing a background and 6 home screen icons.

Overall, I don't get the hype either... though as far a a business phone goes, I guess you really can't beat how solid it is. When I compare it to my Moment, my Moment can sometimes seem like a cross-eyed dog running backwards... though I attribute that to Samsung jerry-rigging the incompatible 1.5 software to this phone, and then nearly abandoning it on support... hopefully it gets fixed soon.:eek:

Upvote 0
Great find!!! Android is expected to capture 42% of the smart phone growth this year!

Though I gotta say, I think they are heavily overestimating the Palm growth. For various reasons, I just don't see them progressing nearly as much as forecasted.

My wife has the Curve. It's a very solid phone with a very solid OS... but it's SEVERELY lacking in customization and apps. The app market seems abysmal in size compared to Android, plus almost every decent app is paid. The customization is pretty much limited to choosing a background and 6 home screen icons.

Overall, I don't get the hype either... though as far a a business phone goes, I guess you really can't beat how solid it is. When I compare it to my Moment, my Moment can sometimes seem like a cross-eyed dog running backwards... though I attribute that to Samsung jerry-rigging the incompatible 1.5 software to this phone, and then nearly abandoning it on support... hopefully it gets fixed soon.:eek:

If palm came out with some decent hardware, they just might. WebOS is a thing of beauty. I really wanted a PRE, until I picked one up and read up on it, and found out it was a POS

Upvote 0
If palm came out with some decent hardware, they just might. WebOS is a thing of beauty. I really wanted a PRE, until I picked one up and read up on it, and found out it was a POS
Same here. I read up on the Pre for a month before I was eligible for my upgrade. I was so upset that the Pre was such a POS, but it was the only Sprint smartphone with a physical keyboard... :(
Then when I went into the store for my upgrade on Nov 1st and found the Moment...:)
Then when I saw that I wasn't getting any support after my 30 days ended...:(
Here's hoping for a good fix on the Moment with 2.1...:)

Any idea if the new Pre is any good?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones