• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile] anyone else see this before?

wyliee

very weird thing happened to me, i haven't paid my phone bill so i left my phone turned off and one day i turned it on and was gonna connect to wifi and just browse the internet on it. i realized i was still getting data when not connected to wifi but phone and texting did not work, i downloaded GV phone and connected it to my gmail and i can send and receive calls and text over 4g so in all technicality i have a free service phone. i don't know how i did it. i am rooted running conquest 9.4 on default settings. i received a text from VM right before my service was cut off saying they where working on the towers in my area. i wonder if thats why i am still receiving data.

i have also noticed before my data has never been throttled and have used 4g with fast speeds for wifi tethering sometimes over 10gb a month. i dont know if this is related.

very weird thing happened to me, i haven't paid my phone bill so i left my phone turned off and one day i turned it on and was gonna connect to wifi and just browse the internet on it. i realized i was still getting data when not connected to wifi but phone and texting did not work, i downloaded GV phone and connected it to my gmail and i can send and receive calls and text over 4g so in all technicality i have a free service phone. i don't know how i did it. i am rooted running conquest 9.4 on default settings. i received a text from VM right before my service was cut off saying they where working on the towers in my area. i wonder if thats why i am still receiving data.

I had this happen with my One V that I was trying to sell with a $25 plan attached - had a new phone with a new number, so i quit paying on the other account. Life got busy and I didn't do anything with it for a few months - when I powered that phone back on to reset it for sale, I found the same thing you did, so I put TextPlus on it and used it as a backup phone. A month or so later Virgin Mobile gave me a free month of service on that phone, and after that expired, 3G no longer worked :( But then I sold the phone anyhow, so it was fine. Pretty nice to have that free backup phone though!

Back
Top Bottom