• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help VZW 2.3 Droid X takes pictures but doesn't save them

klassa

Lurker
Jul 7, 2011
As of last week, I can take pictures with my Droid but they aren't saved... They show up in the preview part of the screen, after being taken, but as soon as I tap on the preview (to view it full-size), I'm taken to the last picture that saved (from a week ago). Haven't managed to find anything about this problem online... Anybody else seeing this?

Shut down your DX, remove the battery door, then the battery, then remove your sdcard and plug it into your computer. Find your card in My Computer and right-click on it and choose "properties", then select the "Tools" tab at the top and click on the "check now" button. Check both check boxes and let Windows check your card. When it's done, close all explorer windows (like My Computer), then find the "safely remove" icon by the clock, lower right corner and choose "eject" for your sdcard. When it's safe to remove, reinsert it in your DX, and boot it up. See if that makes a difference. :D

If you don't have a microsd card to usb adapter, you should have one. Check Radio Shack, Target, Walmart or Amazon.com. They usually sell for $5 or less online.

Upvote 0
As of last week, I can take pictures with my Droid but they aren't saved... They show up in the preview part of the screen, after being taken, but as soon as I tap on the preview (to view it full-size), I'm taken to the last picture that saved (from a week ago). Haven't managed to find anything about this problem online... Anybody else seeing this?

I just ran into this issue too. I don't think it is a sd card issue as I can still use apps saved to the card. I have tried other camera apps and it won't even give me a preview image -- just states that it is unable to save file. Same issue with videos as well.

Upvote 0
Mine will save pics in the Quickpic app, and maybe in Gallery, but every time I click on Gallery, it flashes on the screen for a second like it's trying to load and then goes right back to the home screen. I have to use Quickpic for viewing anything. Last nite I took a video and got the error message 'video can not be viewed' even in Quickpic. Any ideas why Gallery won't work?

Upvote 0
I had an issue where my camera would freeze up on me and maybe the solution I found can help here too.

First remove all pictures from your phone by backing them up to a computer then delete them all off your phone.

Next go to Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > All. Then scroll down the camera app and click on it and choose clear data. Then under the All tab again go to the Media Storage app and select clear data.

Then I did a phone restart and when it came back on the camera and video recording worked perfect!

Hopefully that works for you too.

Upvote 0
klassa, I have the exact same issue as you do, and trying to find a resolve is nearly impossible. It seems like everyone only suggest the most simplistic "tricks" which doesn't do anything but get you to a fresh rebooted state which is only temporary.

My quick and dirty trick In this situation, I go to the Storage menu and Unmount the SD-Card... then immediately remount it. Suddenly I can take pictures and actually find them saved in the gallery. It really sux for those quick moments in life that can't be reproduced. And the family especially hates to "hold that pose" while my phone regains its sense on how to use an SD-Card once again.

When the problem you described above happens to me, I also notice that I can't update or download certain apps from Amazon App Store, the phone and widgets seems to have latency, and the apps start to get all crunchy.

This is a massively annoying problem since you can't trust that your phone will be there for you until you submit to its ransom notice.

I have a popular name brand 32GB card that is Class 6 certified, and every "test" I throw at it returns a happy smile otherwise. Unfortunately, I've had real bad luck with disconnecting 3G issues and am now on my 4th warranty replacement Dx. I sure would like to nail down this picture saving issue!

Upvote 0
Here's my solution, Pull the battery, take the SD card out of the phone and set it aside. Replace battery and cover, get a good grip on the phone and throw it at the hardest surface nearby. Replace Droid with Iphone, which have had their problems but are known to have a great camera.

Sorry, I'm so fed up with the performance of this Droid X that I can't wait till contract renewals, at which point I will be dumping Verizon completely and switiching to a 4G provider that offers the IPhone 5 with no limit on my data. Perhaps I got a lemon with my D-X but the list of problems continues to grow with new updates, not get smaller. Lets see:

Constantly have to unmount SD card to install new apps, then move said app over to SD after.

Camera deletes pics and vids after taking them, even AFTER a factory reset.

Laggy poor performance just working with the home screens.

Poor battery with an extended life battery.

Videos and pictures that have been there become deleted randomly or corrupt. Some videos even become really pixelated and destorted.

These are just a few problems I can think of off the top of my head.

Sorry for the rant I do apologize, but I don't know that this problem or any others will ever get resolved. Like I said maybe I got a lemon. That'd be my luck, cuz everyone else seems to love their D-X.

Upvote 0
Not sure if this will work for everyone but I had same problem lots of people had about taking pictures and it not saving them. I tried all the other things peole were saying to do to no avail. My problem ended up being the sd card class #. I had a 16 GB micro sd 10 class. I ended up buying a 16GB micro SD class 2 and I haven't had a problem with pictures being saved since. Works perfect now!! I have no idea why the class # causes bugs or issues when saving pictures but going to a lower class(2) cured my problem. Hope this helps people and relieves major headaches!!! :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones