• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

(VZW) Galaxy S3 Global Ready when?

Airstream25

Dec 4, 2010
NM
Here is an old post about the Galaxy S3 supposed to be global enabled this summer. Summer is almost over and I have heard nothing more. Anyone else?

Verizon-branded GS III sports LTE band 13 (700MHz) to support the carrier's 4G service, as well as CDMA / EVDO and radios for international GSM roaming. The global antennas are currently disabled, but Verizon has promised that a software update is coming sometime this summer to enable that functionality. The device, also known as the SCH-i535, comes with a 1.5GHz dual-core Snapdragon S4 (MSM8960) with a full 2GB RAM to back up all that horsepower. You also get the brilliant Super AMOLED HD display, which registers a resolution of 720p and offers a pixel density of 306ppi.

I'm trying to find the Thread on XDA, but supposedly the latest CM10 JB Roms enable Global Voice and Data on the phone. I'll try to find the thread....because this would be perfect since I'm visiting family in Europe in December. My brother works for T-Mobile and already said that he has a Micro-SIM card for me when I get there.....unfortunately there's no way for me to test this before I go. I asked a VZW Rep about unlocking the SIM and was told that they plan on sending a software update that will allow this but in the meantime my best bet would be to get an International Loaner Phone (which my brother balked at and told me not to do that and just use one of his SG3's while I'm over there).

Upvote 0
Verizon Wireless is pleased to announce a new software updrade, JRO03L.I535VRBLK3,
for your Samsung Galaxy S III. This update includes an upgrade to the Android Operating
System 4.1 (Jelly Bean).

SUPPORT ENHANCEMENTS AND UPGRADES
+ Global Support
Device is enabled for Global Roaming. Now take advantage of voice and data
services in over 205 countries worldwide. For additional information and support
please visit verizonwireless.com/global

+ Isis Mobile Wallet
Device now includes support for the Isis Mobile Wallet

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones