• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Want to Stop OTA ICS Download/Update

thisisnascar

May 2, 2012
Gloucester City, NJ
I thought I had some posts on this topic already, but I can not find them. My Razr Maxx is running GB 2.3.6 and I DO NOT want to upgrade to ICS. Yesterday, the OTA download occurred and I delayed the installation. It's my understand that I'll be reminded, on various schedules, to apply the update, until such time the phone gets updated. I do not want to do that.

What I want to do is remove the download that occurred from my phone and do what I need to do in order to stop the reminder message, as well as stop future OTA downloads like this. I think I have the solution to remove the already downloaded update file, but feel free to suggest your method. I am rooted and have TBP (paid version) installed. Thanks in advance.

Calm down there. We don't all live on the forum 24/7 and may not know the answer to your question. Most of us have work and families that take priority. ;)

To clear out the already DL'ed update, go to your stock recovery and clear the cache.

I've got a few theories on what may work to stop it from trying to update but I don't know if they'll work. Let me know if you want to try them. :)

Upvote 0
Like you (OP), I also failed to stop the download of ICS, and was being reminded every 24 hours to install it. Based on Kelmar's suggestion, I cleared the cache partition, and have not had a reminder in about 7 or 8 days.

I may (will probably) ultimately update to ICS, but my current thought is to wait till the first official update to it... .215?

EDIT: Additonally, I am not rooted.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones