• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help What type of compass in MOTO G 4G?

I currently have an HTC Wildfire S and am thinking of upgrading.
As I do alot of outdoors walking navigation I need a compass that works the same as the one in my Wildfire S.

Now the Wildfire S is advertided as having a 'digital compass' but I am not sure if there is a difference between a digital compass and a compass.

The phone says it has a 'compass' but I'm not sure if its the right type.

What I mean is... can I stand somewhere without internet or signal, take out the phone and see which direction I am facing as I would with a regular map reading compass.

Its very important I have an Android compass that moves just like a regular compass.
Thanks for any answers.

I currently have an HTC Wildfire S and am thinking of upgrading.
As I do alot of outdoors walking navigation I need a compass that works the same as the one in my Wildfire S.

Now the Wildfire S is advertided as having a 'digital compass' but I am not sure if there is a difference between a digital compass and a compass.

The phone says it has a 'compass' but I'm not sure if its the right type.

What I mean is... can I stand somewhere without internet or signal, take out the phone and see which direction I am facing as I would with a regular map reading compass.

Its very important I have an Android compass that moves just like a regular compass.
Thanks for any answers.

Give this one a try,It's the one I put one my phone.But I have not used it yet.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.proapp.pro.app.compass&hl=en

Thank you AMOCO,
But my question is more about the hardware side of things.
If the Moto G capable of running a compass (such as the one you kindly linked to) in a realistic way as I'm still unsure if there is a difference between 'compass' and 'digital compass'.
As long as I can stand still and rotate my body... will the phone react like a regular olde worlde compass?
cheers.

It is supposed to have a hardware compass. I tested it out and it does function properly with data and GPS turned off, so it's not using GPS.

Back
Top Bottom