• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What's you're laptop setup?

ludeawakening

Android Enthusiast
I just finished assembling my laptop and now I'm bored lol. I just wanted to see what everybody is working with.

My baby's specs:
[FONT=arial, helvetica]MSI MS-1656-ID1 17in barebones kit.
17in 1080p HD Display
[/FONT][FONT=arial, helvetica]Operating System - Shhh... can't tell at the moment! hahahaha
Processor - Intel i7-740QM 1.73GHz Quad-Core
Hard Drive - Western Digital Scorpio 1TB
Memory - 8GB Kingston DDR3 RAM
Graphics -
[/FONT][FONT=arial, helvetica]NVIDIA Geforce GTS 250M, 1GB DDR3 VRAM
Optical Drive -
[/FONT][FONT=arial, helvetica] Pioneer SuperMulti DVDRW
LAN
[/FONT][FONT=arial, helvetica]- Gigabit LAN with 56K Modem jack [/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]WLAN - [/FONT][FONT=arial, helvetica]PCIe mini card slot x 1[/FONT] with MSI MS-6890-010 PCIe card
[FONT=arial, helvetica]USB - [/FONT][FONT=arial, helvetica]3 x USB 2.0
Card Reader -
[/FONT][FONT=arial, helvetica]SD/MMC/MS/XD 4-in-1[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]Firewire - yes sir
Bluetooth -
[/FONT][FONT=arial, helvetica]Built-in MS-3801 Bluetooth 2.0
External Ports -
[/FONT][FONT=arial, helvetica] Monitor ( VGA ): 15 pin D-Sub x 1
- HDMI: 1
- E-SATA/USB 2.0 Combo: 1
- IEEE 1394 (4 pins): 1
- Headphone-out: 1
- Line-out: 1
- Line-in: 1
- Mic-in: 1
- RJ11: 1
- RJ45: 1
- TV Tuner Antenna Connector: 1
[/FONT]
I just hope it's fast enough to play solitaire on! :D

How did you assemble a laptop. Don't those things come integrated for the most part? Or do you mean you assembled it online before they shipped it?

How did you assemble a laptop. Don't those things come integrated for the most part? Or do you mean you assembled it online before they shipped it?

All you do is get whats called a Barebones kit. It consists of the case, motherboard, and display only most of the time. You add the HD, RAM, processor, optical drive, and any other components that are needed. It's pretty fun to build.

2 laptops here.

1) 2008 15inch Macbook Pro, 2.5GHz Core2Duo, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, OS X Snow Leopard....probably the only Apple computer in the whole city. :)

2) New Zoostorm Freedom 9inch netbook, 1.6GHz Atom, 2GB RAM. 160GB HDD, Ubuntu 10.10 and Windows 7.

Both machines purchased in the UK.

i just got an 'ole HP pavilion dv6000. 160 GB, 2 gigs of ram, pentium dual core, yadda yadda. Nothing special.

It's running Ubuntu 10.10 with windows xp in a VM as well as some other linux distros.

2 laptops here.

1) 2008 15inch Macbook Pro, 2.5GHz Core2Duo, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, OS X Snow Leopard....probably the only Apple computer in the whole city.

I really do love my Mac computers. I've never owned a Macbook but I've had plenty of Hackbooks lol. I do however have a Mac Mini with almost the same exact specs as your Mackbook. It only has 2GB of RAM though. The laptop I listed the specs above, is running Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard at the moment. Once again shhhh ;). We call it the Hackbook BM (BM meaning Beast Mode.) I will probably go to Ubuntu 11.04 and run Windows 7 Ultimate in a VM soon.

i just got an 'ole HP pavilion dv6000. 160 GB, 2 gigs of ram, pentium dual core, yadda yadda. Nothing special.

It's running Ubuntu 10.10 with windows xp in a VM as well as some other linux distros.

Hey there's nothing wrong at all with those specs. I bet Ubuntu blazes on it. And I'm sure it's plenty fast enough to run XP in the VM. HP and Compaq makes some good quality products also. I used to have about 20 something Distros of Linux. Ubuntu is by far my favorite to actually install for everyday use. Pretty much all the distros based on the Devian flavor are pretty user friendly. Now Red Hat is a whole different ball game! I like messing with Backtrack 4 also (hmmm I wonder why Lol!)

Toshiba Satellite L505 running Windows 7 Professional 64-bit and Ubuntu 10.04.

Have it hooked up to a 5 port USB hub, GE speakers, and a Samsung 20" monitor for dual screen purposes.

Toshiba Satellite L645, no memory or HDD upgrades. Hate that LabelFlash is not compatable with Light Scribe; compatable LF disks are scarce. So I bought a new color printer to make my own labels.

I also run WinStep with NextStart. Really drives the clueless Apple folks over the edge when they see what a truly cool GUI can look like with a little effort. Like the docks and skins.

No plans to change laptops and what I bought is vastly over powered for my needs so I be happy.

Bob Maxey

I also run WinStep with NextStart. Really drives the clueless Apple folks over the edge when they see what a truly cool GUI can look like with a little effort. Like the docks and skins.Bob Maxey

Yeah I like WinStep and NextStart also. But I am pretty good at customizing the GUI on OS X using Shapeshifter, INTERfacelift, and Mighty Mouse. There are some pretty cool sleeve hidden tricks for Apple too. lol

Dell XPS 15.6" 1080p LED
Intel Core i7-740QM 1.73GHz
6GB DDR3 RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GT 435M 2GB
750GB 7200 RPM SATA HDD
Tray Load Blu-ray Disc BD-Combo
Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6200 wireless card
JBL 2.1 Speakers with Waves Maxx Audio 3
Backlit keyboard

Dell XPS 15.6" 1080p LED
6GB DDR3 RAM
750GB 7200 RPM SATA HDD
Backlit keyboard

gimmie :D

Dell Inspiron 15R

* Intel Pentium P6100 Dual Core Processor (2.0GHz)
* 3GB Memory and 500GB Hard Drive
* 15.6" HD widescreen LED display
* DVD Read/Write Optical Drive (8x)
* Intel HD Graphics Video Card
* 6-Cell Lithium-ion Battery; Weighs less than 6 lbs. and measures 1.25" thick
* Mars Black finish; 1.3M Megapixel Integrated Webcam; Microphone
* Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit; 1-year Lo-Jack Theft Recovery Service; 2GB Datasafe Online Storage
* 3 USB 2.0 Ports and 1 HDMI Port, Wireless DW1501, 802.11 g/n 1x1 Half Mini Card

Just bought that....pretty nice

Dell XPS 15.6" 1080p LED
6GB DDR3 RAM
750GB 7200 RPM SATA HDD
Backlit keyboard

Very good Laptop! ^

I'm not a huge fan of Dell computers, but I have to admit, they did some pretty awesome work on all of their XPS series. And I am also very jealous of your Blu-ray drive and backlit keyboard Lol. I will be adding the Panasonic/Matsushita UJ-220 BD-R/RE when I have an extra $200 laying around.

Very good Laptop! ^

I'm not a huge fan of Dell computers, but I have to admit, they did some pretty awesome work on all of their XPS series. And I am also very jealous of your Blu-ray drive and backlit keyboard Lol. I will be adding the Panasonic/Matsushita UJ-220 BD-R/RE when I have an extra $200 laying around.

I shopped around determined to find a laptop that would be the best bang for my buck and just so happens that this Dell XPS 15 was it. I looked at critic and user reviews and this one was just too good to be true for < $1300 (with free shipping nonetheless). Another option was the Toshiba Qosmio but it lacked HDD space, RAM, and Blu-ray (the ratings weren't so great for it either but it did say it had exceptional battery life for a laptop with it's power).

Asus UL30A
1.3GHz intel Core 2 duo
4GB RAM DDR3
500 GB HD
14ish inch screen
Ubuntu 10.04 (10.10 is buggy on it)

The most important feature is that it can ssh into my desktop (core i7-920 deal) and run whatever process intensive applications. I love openSSH with the -X switch (uses the X server, so I run the application graphically on my laptop but all processing is done on the more powerful desktop).

Nkk

Another option was the Toshiba Qosmio but it lacked HDD space, RAM, and Blu-ray (the ratings weren't so great for it either but it did say it had exceptional battery life for a laptop with it's power).

I do like Toshiba products. I also have a Toshiba Satellite L455-S5975.
It's nothing major. It has an Intel Celeron 900, 4GB RAM, 250 GB HDD and a very stripped down version of Windows 7. So it still runs lightning fast. It only really functions as my Azureus server so to speak. It is networked to 4TB of external storage where all the goodies are stored. ;)

Just finished setting up my new Asus K52F. Got a pretty good deal on it only paying $549 for something with an i3 processor. Didn't go too crazy because I use my main desktop computer for gaming and stuff, but this is to bring to school and work. Does the job.

• Intel

I'm looking for a laptop for a decent budget. Nothing over 750. I wouldn't mind building one with a barebones kit. I have experience in buidling computers since the AMD K6/2 3d now chip (damn those were the days!! Voodoo 3!!!). My problem is i can't find a decent website that has this to offer. I don't mind toshiba, dell or IBM. Not a big fan of HP. Thanks for the help.

I'm looking for a laptop for a decent budget. Nothing over 750. I wouldn't mind building one with a barebones kit. I have experience in buidling computers since the AMD K6/2 3d now chip (damn those were the days!! Voodoo 3!!!). My problem is i can't find a decent website that has this to offer. I don't mind toshiba, dell or IBM. Not a big fan of HP. Thanks for the help.

Do you perhaps have any needs? Large screen/long battery/min. specs? I could suggest many good computers under 750, but they probably are not what you want.

-Nkk

I don't know why you're not a big fan of HP, but I'm on my second HP laptop and love it. It's a dv6000 (nice, WIDE screen!) that I bought in 2007 and I use it 99% of the time over several desktops (also HP). It's that nice. Comfortable, fast, really just great.

I've added a Logitech trackball as I'm not a touchpad fan. I run Kubuntu Linux on it and it just flies! I did have to replace the hard drive almost two years ago, but hard drives crash and that has nothing to do with the brand of the laptop.

I don't recall offhand exactly what I paid for it, but it was well under $1000. I don't know what laptops HP currently offers that are in your price range, but speaking from personal experience I'd imagine they're pretty good.

One of the main needs i have is a dedicated graphics card. I don't need to play any intense games on it at all. Just would rather have dedicated. At least an I3. Although i will accept AMD. At least 4GB of ram. HD Space i have no preference on. Like i said before i wouldn't mind building just haven't found a good vender for parts. To make more sense what I'm using it for, I'm a information systems analyst and i do alot of programming.
Thanks

Not the best laptop, but for 427 dollars with a bundled 250 gig WD passport external hard drive, I had to get it.

Compaq Presario CQ60-418DX:
250 gigabyte hitachi hard drive
3 gigs of RAM. DDR2.
NVIDIA GeForce 8200M
Atheros 802.11/b/g (Replaced with Atheros N card)
2.5 hour battery life.
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit with Ubuntu 64, gentoo 64 and Slackware 64 in VMs.
AMD Athlon 64 2.1 Ghz.

Asus G51VX-A1
2.0GHZ Core2Duo
Nvidia GTX260 1GB
4GB RAM
Currently a 320GB 7200RPM HD with a 500GB second drive for my Steam games
Backlit Keyboard
LED Backlit Screen

Plays anything I throw at it, even Bad Company 2 with some of the graphics settings lowered. It's an amazing laptop and was only $600 out the door. My only gripe is that it's only 1366x768, but games look amazing so it's not a big deal.

Back
Top Bottom