• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

WiFi antenna extension, making it longer physically

350X

Android Expert
WiFi antenna extension, making it longer physically.....

have had my tablet open a few times, just like say a Kindle, little section of wire that just plugs into the board.

The wire is small, I wonder if its a single wire, or dual wires inside that tiny thing???

Also wonder if I could just strip back some and solder or just twist on a longer section of wire, or even solder in a 2nd port to it and make a plug in extension to make the antenna LONG as my tablet doesn't really move around often, just sit in the holder on the desk.

Before it would get good WiFi signal, now it wants to be 2ft behind me to get full bars.

Antenna length must be tuned to the frequency being used.
If you change the length, you will reduce performance and may burn out the transmitter.

Antenna length must be tuned to the frequency being used.
If you change the length, you will reduce performance and may burn out the transmitter.

+1

You would also void the FCC certification and risk a hefty fine from them. In other words don't monkey with certified transmission devices.

WiFi antenna extension can work if you do the job properly. Here I hooked up a couple of high gain tuned yagis to a cheapo TP-Link WiFi router. Range achieved, 22 miles line of sight.
tp.jpg

This was in the UK. Antennas and WiFi router purchased in Beijing.

The important thing is, is that the antennas are tuned and impedance matched to the band and transmitter. Making an antenna longer is just detuning it from the band it was meant for, i.e. 2.4GHz, and that won't usually work. As for legalities, if you're tearing devices apart and fiddling with the internal antennas and cables, sure you'll invalidate any approvals and warranty, like FCC, but on the other hand I don't think you'll be fined and thrown in jail for doing it, even in the USA. Thing is WiFi is 2.4 GHz ISM band, which pretty much means you can do what you like, e.g. run your microwave with the door open, and if you do have interference problems... good luck!.

The thin wire inside your tablet is likely a coax, probably easiest way to extend that would be to terminate it on an SMA socket. Then you should be able to plug in say a double collinear, which are the stock antennas that many WiFi routers come with.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom