• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Wifi Hotspot - Yes, it DOES work. Here's how...

This is the stupidest phone I have ever purchased probably, I am glad it was about $30 - at $30 I am using it this week maybe next then ditching it. So if I manage to get ANYWHERE with the phone past being able to root it already, I will post what I helpful stuff I can, before I move to the next phone. For the life of me I would love to know why Kyocera has locked the bootloaders of their $30 phones - the USD can't be that spectacular to the Yen that it matters to lock a sub $50 phone down? If fact, I would even suggest it's more profitable to have me buy another P.O.S Kyocera phone - which I would if I knew it had an UNLOCKED bootloader - at the $30 price point, I'm happy to flash it till it's bricked probably, and go get another one...

NOTE: THIS WILL 100% WORK FOR YOU AND YOU WILL NOT GET STUCK IN ADHOC MODE IF YOU FOLLOW THIS EXACTLY.

Ok, well so I am almost certain you can't get this to work unless you've gotten root first. It *could* work without root but I've never attempted to find out? Assume you need it.

Once you are successfully rooted do the following and don't deviate from what I say here:

1. Download the latest Treve WIFI APK - here

2. You need to open the Wifi app, DO NOT START tethering or click the wifi symbol AT ALL on the initial launch. First, context/menu click to get the menu up, go to settings and set the settings to the following. You MUST set the FIRST setting I put here at the top of the list FIRST. You WONT see a couple of these options in the settings menu UNLESS you set the device-profile FIRST!!!!!!!!!

Device-Profile - Generic ICS/JB wlan0 AGAIN SET THIS FIRST
Setup Method - Auto
Fallback Tether - YES
Send Netd Max Client - YES
Enable Wifi encryption - YES
WiFi Driver Reload - YES
(don't check the second one though)
Keep Alive / Connection Check - YES
MSS Clamping - YES
Routing fix - YES

Exit settings, then turn the hotspot on for the first time. It will install the binaries and config, and should start for you without any errors. By default the app gives your hotspot an SSID AndroidTether and pw of abcdefghijklm.

Let me know how this works guys.

I have been trying for weeks to root this phone or Wi-Fi tether it or even Bluetooth tether it with my Samsung Galaxy 3 Tablet. This is the first thing to work!! Thank you :)

Its not there but still works with errors but haven't had a problem connecting to it. I had to turn off the WiFi encryption otherwise couldn't get some things to connect hope this helps.

I got root on the phone and downloaded the app you provided, set it up just how you said, had the same issue with the mss clamping as the others. The hotspot turns on and shows up as an available connection on my laptop, but when I try to connect it says its unable to, and I can't for the life of me figure out why... please help

Google Trevemod 3.4 and download trevemod 3.4 experimental1.apk then install as outlined above.This will allow you to enable password protect your connection when you select enable wifi-encryption and select password without error messages or crashing your phone.
P.S. some options outlined above may not show up in this newer version to enable so just select the ones that you can as outlined aboved and it should work.

dude i have some trouble in following your steps there is no mss in my setting thats the only problem... help me up..

I FREAKING LOVE YOU THANK YOU SO MUCH THIS WORKED AND WAS THE ONLY THING THAT WORKED FOR MY ROOTED PHONE I seriously cannot thank you enough... thank you so much...

Lol, so I had to buy a new phone. I rooted it and then went back to this guide for the tethering thing. This time, I am not able to set up my own password and SSID. I was able to on my last phone with this, though. Tethering also starts with errors but will still tether. Any tips on how to clear all this up? By the way, in the "show log", the error was "loading the wifi driver"

Last edited:
Lol, so I had to buy a new phone. I rooted it and then went back to this guide for the tethering thing. This time, I am not able to set up my own password and SSID. I was able to on my last phone with this, though. Tethering also starts with errors but will still tether. Any tips on how to clear all this up? By the way, in the "show log", the error was "loading the wifi driver"

Never mind, I got it haha

Back
Top Bottom