• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Custom ROM]-Tagged

If I remap the search button to switch between CPU governors button, what should they be?

• Powersave & SmartassV2

Votes: 22 45.8%
  • Powersave & Performance

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • Powersave & Ondemand

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • Cycle through all of the governors, we'll stop when we get to the one we want.

Votes: 21 43.8%

• Total voters
Okay, here's the beta build of the theme chooser. I've fully tested it on Tagged 1.0.5, and it switched the theme for every one of the available themes. It should work regardless of what ROM you're running(ex-Stock, Harmonia, Sleipnir, etc.).

I did not include the fonts. The reason for this is that the font files are about 5.5mb per ROM, and with 5 ROMS, that would make it 27.5mb in just fonts, and push the already 12.3mb Theme Chooser to about 40mb. So I left the fonts out. If people want them, I'll make a separate version with fonts included.

If I could get a few people to test this out and give me some feedback, that'd be great. Once we see that it works well, I'll make a new thread about it. Just install the .apk and the rest is easy. Be warned, if it doesn't copy something over correctly, then you may have to reflash your ROM.

Here's the link to the .apk - https://docs.google.com/open?id=0ByIGr8SqtN0cYU42X3NCWl9FMW8

Upvote 0
Advanced task killer is not good for your phone.

This is true. MayerBrand, a possible reason that you're getting bad battery life is because of the task killer. Tagged has been tweaked so that the OS itself will kill any processes that aren't necessary, and it does this automatically. So any processes that your Advanced Task Killer is killing, could easily be a needed service, and as a result will just start right back up again. So if your task killer is doing that every time your screen is going off, then the Advanced Task Killer has to use battery life to find those processes, kill them, and then the OS must use battery life to start all of those processes back up. That can take a harsh toll on battery life.

If you've got a gazillion apps that run in the background all the time, then advanced task killer might help. But for a slimmed down, tweaked 'n tuned custom ROM, it probably won't do anything beneficial.

Upvote 0
Okay, here's the beta build of the theme chooser. I've fully tested it on Tagged 1.0.5, and it switched the theme for every one of the available themes. It should work regardless of what ROM you're running(ex-Stock, Harmonia, Sleipnir, etc.).

I did not include the fonts. The reason for this is that the font files are about 5.5mb per ROM, and with 5 ROMS, that would make it 27.5mb in just fonts, and push the already 12.3mb Theme Chooser to about 40mb. So I left the fonts out. If people want them, I'll make a separate version with fonts included.

If I could get a few people to test this out and give me some feedback, that'd be great. Once we see that it works well, I'll make a new thread about it. Just install the .apk and the rest is easy. Be warned, if it doesn't copy something over correctly, then you may have to reflash your ROM.

Here's the link to the .apk - https://docs.google.com/open?id=0ByIGr8SqtN0cd0dlQTVrQWhjalk

It worked, but I had to pull my battery.

I'm using Tagged 1.05 (Full).

First I switched to the ICS theme, then back to the Tagged theme.

After switching back to Tagged theme, I came here and started typing a reply (in dolphin browser) and suddenly my phone just started showing the boot screen and wouldn't boot up. I tried things like holding the power button,etc, but finally had to pull the battery.

I'm not even sure if it's because of the theme chooser or something else on my phone.
The only other time that happened before was after using wifi tether, but I hadn't used that.

Anyway, great work.

Upvote 0
I also noticed that after a powering the phone off then on, quick memo is unable to capture screen shots until opening the camera app, but on reboots like how theme chooser reboots the phone, quick memo will work without having to open the camera app. I don't know if stock behaves the same way or if it's something to do with the Tagged ROM.

Any ideas what may cause that behavior?

Upvote 0
I also noticed that after a powering the phone off then on, quick memo is unable to capture screen shots until opening the camera app, but on reboots like how theme chooser reboots the phone, quick memo will work without having to open the camera app. I don't know if stock behaves the same way or if it's something to do with the Tagged ROM.

Any ideas what may cause that behavior?

Yes, this happens because the theme chooser doesn't fully reboot the phone. If the app switches out the themes and then tells the phone to reboot, then the OS has time to see that something was messed with and it freezes the phone. So rather than having the theme chooser reboot the phone, it just runs the command "su -c pkill system_server", which kinda reboots it, but not the whole way. pfkill takes less time to go through than an actual reboot, so the OS doesn't have any time to freeze the phone.

The quickmemo still works because it isn't ever shut off, just "refreshed", if you will.

Upvote 0
Mine hangs on installing the ICS theme, and none of them make my.phone auto reboot fully or even.a soft UI reboot. It does nothing. I am running Cyanbread and I gave it superuser permissions. After trying to install ICS it highlights the Yes option to install it, then the app freezes and will ask a moment later if I want to wait or force close the app. Tried Sleipnir and it granted permissions, then did nothing. Also when I uninstall it it says "root has been granted superuser permissions" what does that "root" message do when I'm uninstalling it? And why such the random letter number filename? Lol

Upvote 0
Mine hangs on installing the ICS theme, and none of them make my.phone auto reboot fully or even.a soft UI reboot. It does nothing. I am running Cyanbread and I gave it superuser permissions. After trying to install ICS it highlights the Yes option to install it, then the app freezes and will ask a moment later if I want to wait or force close the app. Tried Sleipnir and it granted permissions, then did nothing. Also when I uninstall it it says "root has been granted superuser permissions" what does that "root" message do when I'm uninstalling it? And why such the random letter number filename? Lol

What do you mean "random letter number filename"? All the filenames consist of things like "stock_SystemUI.apk", and "sleipnir_framework-res.apk". Just to make sure, have you modded your sdcard in anyway?

You might wanna try downloading a fresh copy. If it gives weird files then it could have gotten corrupted during the download.

Upvote 0
It shoes Elite Themes in the app list. But the actual file name was random letters and numbers. I downloaded twice, and each time the file name was different. I got it to work but differently. When I hit install and reboot and it did nothing it actually put the SystemUi.apk and framework-res.apk's on my internal memory sdcard. And so I just renamed them, and moved each one between reboots manually and it worked. But it's strange how it put them on my sdcard. And nope, I don't have it modded. No partitions or anything. I used to have GL2SD to move Asphalt 7's 1.3gb of data to external sd card, but I got rid of it 2 weeks ago.

Upvote 0
How do i get ur theme chooser to install a theme from the market?

You can't. This installs theme files that are specifically from the Optimus Elite, and as far as I know, the market doesn't have Optimus Elite themes. This isn't the same thing as Go Locker or AWD Launcher. Is the app functioning correctly though?

Upvote 0
About the new poll at the top, I know it is possible to do, but I do not know how I would notify the user about which governor they just switched to(as far as I know, notifications have to be initiated by an actual app, not just a script). So that's just something I'm thinking about, not a guarantee about it being in the next version of tagged.

Upvote 0
I'm using a plain stock rom with adw launcher, my rom isn't deodexed and I'm waiting to flash a custom rom but is it ok to still use?

Is what still okay to use? The theme chooser? It should be, I haven't tested it on a stock but I don't see any reason why it shouldn't.

If you're talking about tagged itself, then yes.

Make sure you have Clockwork Mod though. Just in case.

Reactions: BIONICLE38
Upvote 0
Is what still okay to use? The theme chooser? It should be, I haven't tested it on a stock but I don't see any reason why it shouldn't.

If you're talking about tagged itself, then yes.

Make sure you have Clockwork Mod though. Just in case.

Yeah I meant theme chooser sorry im not used to using the phandroid app lol. And yes I'll be sure to do a backup, I always do a backup before tweaking with my phone..

Upvote 0
Through all the replies i see that Tagged works great as well as looks great, only question is on a 246mhz min and 1.6mhz max how's the battery life? My main goals of flashing roms are battery life and speed.

Let's put it this way:

Min: 2xx
Max: 16xx
Governor: smartassV2

On either Tagged or Sleipnir, I get two days of battery life, and no lag.

Upvote 0
Seeing as how Android is open... don't you think it will super easy to download/install a ridiculous amount of games to your phone? Think about how many simple flash games are out there.

Will android users immediately have a huge pool of mobile games to choose from or do these developers have to design games specifically for Android?

Awesome I'll be flashing one of the roms in the coming days.

Upvote 0
TAGGED

This is based off of LeslieAnns Aeneas ROM. I do not have a cool greek name/mythological story for it like the others have for theirs, and I wish I would have thought of that as well.

What does it have/What is different?
JellyBean Theme
JeallyBean Lockscreen
Lots of scripts that I have modified to work with the LG Optimus Elite
Fast, yet stable
giantpunes custom kernel
Notifications Toggle
Slimmed down, bloatware taken out and build.prop edits made for a lighter UI/better system
sqlite server from android 4.0 for better sqlite management.
Odexed .apks

What do some of the scripts do?
Enables journalism on certain partitions for a faster read/write time
Aligns .apk packages for more efficient operation(Think of it like fragmentation, but for your phone)
Changes values of the phones swap space, this is similar to Virtual Memory that you see on Windows PC's
Tweaks net speed values beyond what build.prop can do
Automatically removes temporary files that are no longer needed, this frees up space for other apps to use.
Forces phone to mount partitions with no air time, meaning that the lag of messing with partitions is reduced.
Increases values of the kernel, allowing the phone to process more threads at once.
Keeps home launcher in memory, more so than what build.prop can do. This means that the amount of time between you pressing home, and home showing up, is tiny.
Optimizes the values for keeping important services(like phone, messaging, User Interface,etc.), in RAM, and keeping non-important services(like NFC,calender,etc.), in swap memory.

What does Odexed mean?
Odexed is the opposite of deodexed. What these come down to is usability vs efficiency. Deodexed .apks are compressed, meaning that whenever the device needs to access the app, it has to uncompress it first. Odexed .apks are uncompressed, so when the phone needs to use the app, it doesn't have to mess around with it a whole bunch. Deodexed are easier to theme because everything is in one place, but Odexed .apks are faster, more stable, and are spread out in multiple parts. As long as you don't plan on using this ROM as a base for your own, then having an Odexed ROM will do nothing but help your phone. You will not have any clutter, and will only see the speed increase. This also saves battery life due to less time spent uncompressing .apks.

The size of this ROM has been taken down from Aeneas original 157mb, to 110mb(for Slim version). My goal for this ROM was to create a ROM that is light, minimalistic, and gets out of the way so you can do what is important to you. Like any ROM, the first initial boot will be slightly slow. But once it gets going and once you go to the Antutu CPU app to enable the higher frequencies, you will see the speediness of this ROM.

There are two different types of this ROM, Full-Sized and Slim-Sized. At the core, they are the same. The only difference is that the Full-Sized ROM has things like Live Wallpapers and Google Wallet. In the Slim version, these were taken out to reduce the size of the ROM, and to speed it up.

And please, PLEASE leave me some feedback so I know if I'm doing right or wrong.

Big thanks to Leslie Ann for the ROM, giantpune for the CWM and kernel, and st@matis for allowing me to modify some of his scripts.

Latest Version -- 1.0.5 --

Slim Version(110mb) -- http://www.sendspace.com/file/0srqxh
md5sum - e10969541fceb5f0409aabb3089ecc69

Full Version(126mb) -- http://www.sendspace.com/file/vu6n83
md5sum - f9171b8fdda9cbd4ca794e9609137bff

Hi. I'm downloading your "TAGGED" ROM as I'm typing, but before I flash what all do I wipe?

Reactions: sneaky_1
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones